Thursday, July 3, 2014

In Back Of The Fridge

I meet my editor for Vitridian Elixirs at a bar in Hegemony space.  Patrick Willis of Black Watch is a guy I’ve done freelance work for for awhile now.  Over the course of writing for him I’ve gone some pretty strange places to get a good story for the Galaxy Gathering.  It and the Asterion News Network pay Niodes to citizen journalists within the Mecha Galaxy for scoops, an opportunity which to put it bluntly appealed to my mercenary sensibilities.  The places I’ve gone to get those stories have ranged from gate jumps to faraway planets to munitions plants and the laboratories of mad scientists.  An expert on ice weapons in his own right, Patrick as it turns out was one of the people who were key in development of the Frigis mecha.  I figured an interview with my boss on the mecha which he’d been instrumental in developing was long overdue.

“Pat, I heard you’re one of the minds to the think tank that put together the Frigis mech” I say to him as I take a swig from my drink.

He knows I recently got back from an investigative gig where Drake Novum and I were doing a little detective work to find out things for Star Factories at one Dr. Osprey’s old labs on one of the many worlds Star Factories owned property on.  Warehouse planets.The largest maker of mecha in colonized Space was able to afford that many holdings.

I’m aware that my editor has many contacts and among those can be counted even the elusive Game Craftsmen.  It makes for an impressive list, so it really shouldn’t  be too surprising then that he knows people in Star Factories.  It was in no small part due to his connections I got the okay from them to check out Osprey’s lab in the first place.

“Now other than size, since the Frigis is almost the biggest Ice Mecha to date (second only to the Jottun), what else can you say sets it apart from say, other ice mecha?” I ask.

“Well, the customization options really I feel set it apart. You can set one up with the proper equipment and run an Ice monster that does well into the  hundreds plus ice damage. I run two at present one set for Ice and laser damage (the primary focus of the machines), as well as one set up purely for fire damage. Not as impressive as ice admittedly but still will stop a mech once a hit with the freeze potential.” He replied.

“Interesting” I admit taking a few notes.

“Pat, could you tell me, what exactly had you at the Sigiss-6 colony, if you don’t mind my asking?  Seems like kind of an out of the way place to go.”

“I was hunting down a story on the troubles people were facing and got there in time to see them push back the pirates who were raiding the colony. I smelled  a story and stuck around long enough to get the tech manual down and see what Star Factories was going to do with it. Needless to say they were impressed and production began almost immediately.” He takes a drink and looks over the room.

“There’s that famous journalistic instinct! Can I get you a refill on that elixir?”

“Sure would love one, don’t know about famous but yeah some instinct is needed for this job.”
I tip the cocktail waitress enough credits that she stays attentive to our section of the bar.

“Also, word on the street is you’ve got yourself a fairly extensive mecha collection.”

“Extensive, well I don’t know maybe at one point yes. At present now I just run 70 tons and above. Although I do like mechs of import, ones that make the news and have historical relevance. So I do try and collect those as best I can. Costs a mountain of credits and enough Niodes to buy a world sometimes to get them in working order but yeah I am proud of what I have to date.”

“I’ve heard that in your collection you’ve got one of the famous Dilaphos from a past war, Dr. Osprey’s actual prototype Sever and the first Jadoon.”

“Yep I have managed those in the past, many many hours of scouring the galaxy and not an insubstantial amount of bribes but I own them now. Although the Sever is just a rumor, granted one I don't discourage for publicity reasons, but a rumor none the less.”

“Have you ever considered entering them in one of the mech shows?  I used to participate in a Hoplite modders club.”

“Thought about it a time or two but when weighed against the cost of shipping them all, and the possibility of them being stolen...well I just couldn’t. Although I’ll send them into combat without thinking twice.”

“Huh, again interesting.  Hey Pat, what do you make about Clan Wars XVI?  People are excited about that one.  Especially since Fifteen was pretty extreme.”

“ Clan Wars are good and they get better all the time. Although there have been rumors that soon we will be seeing a change to the format and possible dissolution of clans to allow for more even division line ups.  I personally loved faction wars more than Clan Wars, but everything has its place. Each clan War sees bigger and better opponents than the last and it is all exciting for a pilot to be sure. Each one also brings new releases in weapons and equipment so that is always something to be excited about!”

Looking At Patrick’s medal collection, the Faction War Trophies can attest to that.
“I was thinking, maybe we could do a sportscast of it?”

“Love to! Any and all are more than welcome but yes definitely!”  He hands over a press security pass to Galaxy Gathering main office suites.

“Well thanks Chief.  I got a few people to agree to sponsor it, although my contacts aren’t as extensive as yours.  MechWax and Talbus Arms want in on advertising during it.”

“The more the merrier! We always love sponsors.”
“Think you can get some of the Game Craftsmen clan on board?” I ask him, curious.

“Hmm, I may be able to they are a secretive bunch to be honest, kind of spooky at times, but just maybe it would be possible to swing something.”

“I bet if we promise them confidentiality they might pop out of the woodwork.  I know Drake opened up when I told him his location could stay secret.”

“Well best I can do is try I like to think they are approachable  but who knows, they could surprise me, no promises though. I will try.”

“True!” I say, setting down my now empty tankard. “Well, other than that, I think, this will look to be an interesting program regardless of who sponsors it.  It beats getting crapped on by rare monsters in jungle planets, although, I’ll go anywhere to give decent coverage, as you well know by now.”

“Honestly I don’t know how you do it! Most of those places would have me  getting my mechs in gear to haul tail out  of there. But you have proven yourself time and time again in my books  that is for certain.”

I laugh a little.  “When I was interviewing Drake he did a test on my skin.  Turns out that the mixture of bacteria and Forerunner genes makes a sort of natural mild repellent for a bunch of creatures. That might have to do with it some.”

“Well however it is done all I can say is  it is well received by the masses who are our readers and I love the hell out of the reports. Although I would keep an eye on that Drake guy, after all ethics is not his strong point and some day you could be facing a clone army of yourself.”

“Thanks boss. Yeah, I know but I figure since I’m the original I won’t have to worry too much. I’ll just cross that bridge when I get there.  So, speaking of interviews, isn’t Deborah our usual rep for clan segments?”

“Yes she is she helps with the pre and post war Clan Wars interviews, send in various equipment reviews from across the stars and is constantly roaming around to find new and interesting folks to talk to. Gets expensive at times but well worth it, she is also a hell of a fighter in her own right”

“I know she’s been busy lately Pat but you think you could pull some strings to get her for our program covering Clan Wars XVI?”

“I can certainly comm her for it and have her patched in from the front if I have to.”

“I think that might draw in more readers.  Well, this started out about the Frigis so to wrap things up, I know your personal one is named the Frozen Dream.  Any tips about 80 ton mecha you’d give to aspiring huge weight division pilots out there?” Myco asks.

“Best I can say is never be afraid to spend! You get out of your mechs only what you put in. If you toss in only crystal gear and weapons you will only get crystal results back and be so so. Toss in niode gear mixed with crystal and your chances improve greatly. Toss in Niode only and wow you can have a fast, deadly mech, with more potential than you realized. Frozen Dream is a good example she can do at present +114% ice damage with  107% freeze on her shots for ice weapons that is great but it also extends over to her other weapons as well. “

“Truly cool” I say, with some goosebumps.  “Well, thanks for taking some time out for this interview Patrick.”

“Thanks for having me Myco, really looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future and seeing great things from you in the arena. Best of luck and happy hunting.”

Consummate professional, to the last.













Submitted by Mycobacter #712744, Patrick Willis #224534