Saturday, July 19, 2014

Cloned Heart Crushed Dreams

The reason I am not overly fond of clones is simple and personal.  It isn't that I feel they trivialize the value of human life; if that were the case I'd hold an animosity toward androids and designer babies too, which I don't.  Rather, the reason why I dislike clones, though in retrospect it may sound childish, is because of an ex girlfriend who left me for a clone of myself.  He had a built in compliance-enforcement shock chip to ensure total obedience. Though I'll be the first admit it wasn't a terribly healthy relationship to begin with, and I'm probably better off now that I am no longer with her, there's something unnerving about being dumped for a stranger who is a physical duplicate of yourself and even though her demands are no longer of my concern, I couldn't help but wonder what (besides a built-in obedience device) this guy had that I didn't.  It didn't sit well with me and that is why I'm not usually exactly the most outspoken advocate of whole organismal cloning of people, per se.

My friend Drake says they make a valuable cheap workforce with relatively low training costs compared to more traditional employees and I will grant them that.  Also some clans swear they make good surplus pilots to have at the ready for filling out ranks of mecha teams during conflicts.  Again, I won't argue against that either.  However, I do feel that the potential to be replaced by a clone of yourself, socially, is kind of creepy. A few enterprising lawyers amongst the Hegemony, Cogwerk and Shogunate are attempting to draft out legislation on processes for individuals to go about copyrighting their identity in the aims of lowering the frequency of incidents like that occurring but in the meantime, keen observation and the occasional DNA test are the only ways to be sure your friends family and coworkers are their originals and not clones.













Submitted by Mycobacter#712744