Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Aestus Part 2

Drake smiles, checking a few items off of the list on his data pad. He sets the pad down then picks up a second  one and passes it over to Myco. “Now the real reason I wanted you to come in person.”

My eyes bug out at the illustration which holographically projects out of Drake’s data pad of vernier thrusters, metalloid ferrofluid-derived wings and even more exotic propulsion units that defy rational explanation.

“You’ll see here schematics; my clan mate Kai is obsessed with two things fire mechs and flight. Every mech he owns has been modified with limited flight abilities. Mostly crude jetpacks, repulsorlifts and rudimentary hover technologies. I’m actually surprised his technicians have not quit over his naive ideas. But he’s now approached me mostly because of our finding of Dr. Osprey’s living mech, fire and missile, designs[b]. He had wanted to know if I could make it and modify it to fly[c]. I made a noncommittal comment that I would have to think on it.” Drake stops talking drinks heavily from his tea and motions for a refill.

“Flight, eh?” I wince as the Hypocaust clunks and my ears detect what can only be the surface of the carefully engineered ceramic-metal composite making a scraping noise.  The Hypocaust Cavitator, like most mesoskeletal armors is not designed to deal with external friction.

Drake tilts his head as a loud noise suddenly occurs, listens for a half minute, he really didn’t like asking for help very often but he was stumped, “Do you think a chassis can be built that grants a mech full flight abilities? If it is, do you think we could build a full mech with said abilities. My idea is a flying fire and laser mech.”

“Yeah I do. Now excuse me; F*ck it.”

I crumple my notes vowing to start over and chuck a grenade into the crate for added measure, clones scrambling to get out of the way soon after they hear the clink of the pulled pin.[d]

“Well I’m sorry they damaged it, I’m sure we could have repaired it…”

“... Don’t even worry about it. I made two, the other one is still outside” I explain to Drake and his squad of technician clones before continuing.

“Well, the thing is I do have a few ideas on equipment, mostly Niode type that I’d like to toy around with.  Much smaller than those bulkier rigs your clansman Kai drafted out too.  Think you could get your clone boys to set up Niode matrices that had enough high voltage output to hover an object off the ground?”  A few are glowering at me from the use of a live grenade indoors so close to them.

“Yes Niode matrices could be made that should be able to do so, I’ll have the AI’s assemble it since my clones seem to be butter fingers today.” Drake glares at Blue Wrath who lowers his eyes in shame.

“Instead of alternating polarity Niode matrices like on a Frigis we’ll be using them as an electromagnetic inductor. Coupled with articulable tanks of streaming ignitable ferrite particle chaff, it works on the principle of impulse propulsion.  Have to forcefully eject the ferrite chaff away from the matrix pack to avoid clumping. You like?”

I scratch my chin, thinking some more.

“If that doesn’t do it for ya, I’ve got another one.  Could harness some of the molecular instability and gate properties of the Skriag and Nakshi to utilize quantum entanglement?  Instead of short distance teleporting it would be moving in place very short distances.”

Drake smiles enthusiastically, “Yes, this helps immensely.” Drake grabs a pad and starts scribbling notes furiously. “I knew with your help, I could get off the ground, as it were, with these plans.”

“Haha, no probs Drake.  Eh, it isn’t Blue’s fault, I figure at worst, we could probably melt and spin down the Hypocaust material into wires for the electromagnets of the Niode matrices.  As for the grenade?... I like to be showy during demonstrations.”  I pat the grumpy clone on the back passing him a list of materials to gather.

The clone takes the list and wanders off. Drake refills both cups with tea, and reclines much more relaxed. “Yes, working on this current mech has given me something to focus on while trying to work out the details of Kai’s problems, ideas building upon new problems and solutions always gets me back on track.”

“Eh, I can relate.” I take my gun belt off setting it down on the table.













Submitted by Mycobacter, Drake Novum Scientist #712744, #706289