Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Holmes for the Holidays

Faction War was over, we were back on routine patrols.  No real point, the storm of Faction war had been so extreme that pirate activity had dropped right off the map.  Apparently your average pirate just wasn't interested in trying  to slip through a gate that could have half the Blue Octet Dragons military, or a couple hundred AFF dashing through the other way, fangs out and hair on fire.  The National armies paraded a lot, and stayed inside the cities, because they know we don't fight around civilians.  Honestly, they still think we want to conquer them.  Get real.  Too much paperwork.

 My patrol of mixed Holmes and Imechs was running the circuit out of Chiang-wu, a nothing little world with the best Dim Sum on the explored galaxy; weird to find good Korean food on a Chinese settled world, but their pizza was outstanding too.  I was looking forward to patrol, something nice and relaxing.  My Holmes had some non-standard upgrades in it since the war.  The Bulls Eye Rail, and Galaxy Eyes, the weirdly distorting niode shields and smooth running advanced engines had made my Holmes into the equal of most Ogguns.  I was ready for anything, except what was in my email slot.  Mom.

I was looking for a chance for a nice simple battle, maybe go pick on those Armored Core guys, or a Smurf.  I saw them coming and going during the war, and they did OK, but I hadn't tested myself against them.  Or a pirate.  Honestly, pirates were going to be like hunting baby-seals.   Anything was better than answering mom's letter from home.  A.N.N and T.G.G. were flooding the Tri-V with coverage of the war, and the raid, and the other raid.  Mom and dad were losing their collective minds, advertising executives didn't expect their children to grow up to be exchanging blasts of nuclear hell on airless wastelands.  They expected business suits, power lunches, golf.  Honestly, give me Vupa 6 insane ravers screaming and howling as they come, but I am not golfing, and when they tighten a knot under my neck it will be hanging me, not a bloody suit and tie.  They want me "Home for the Holidays".  Mech-drek.

Scanners were fuzzing.  It was weird, it was a bit like the effect we saw from Drakes clones, only they had to be in sight before we  got that.  Whatever this was was stronger.  The Gate from Chaing Wu to Hells-a-commin showed activity.  The radio relay on the gate was down.  I punched the magnification on my HUD.  Yup, it was burned off.  Tight beam laser.  Somebody punched through to Hells-a-Commin and wanted it kept quiet.  Oh baby, pirates!

We radioed base, and hit the gate.  Who was it this time?  Dorian had been making noise lately, Tory was always trouble, Herrod was just bug-house crazy.  Whoever it was just gave me a hunting license.  They damaged the gate, this made them Class 3 Violators, track down and destroy, full bounty.  Love law and order, it buys the beer.

The gate disruption was like a shot of ice cold vodka.  Hit the brain with a sweet ice knife edge, cutting off the babbling, and triggering the adrenaline.  Sensors came back online, and, yes, there is the jamming again.  Really strong.  Some broken transmissions, cries for help, ejection signals, some reactor overload signals.  Somebody was getting stomped. Hard.

We fanned out and hit the ridge in line abreast, whatever was in the valley was getting a big green surprise.

TANDEM BOMB!  Our mechs shook and rattled under the explosion, our entire front rank taking the power of the hit.  Sensors cut through the jamming with the line of sight open and..........Frack me with a candy-cane, he's back.
I cut loose with my Galaxy Eye, nailing a Christmas Tree.  Its partner replied with a Nutcracker that killed my left flank Holmes.  I dodged into the explosion, trusting my shields, and outguessing the Christmas tree shooting at me.  I toggle my Bull's Eye Rail and did some supersonic logging.  One down each.

The mecha fielded by the enemy were distinctive.  One great golden antler crowned Reindeer, looking like a decorated Namtar.  Three green capped grinning Mecha-Elves, and three of those insane gun and missile toting Christmas tree.  The rest were common designs.  The wreckage around them showed they had taken the Shogunate garrison by storm, and not taken much damage doing it.

My middle Imech returned fork for fork, sending our Tandem Bomb back In return for theirs.  A Christmas Tree and Mecha-Elf stagger under the missiles, and I burn the Elf a third eye with my Galaxy Eye.  Advantage is ours.

"Don't make any plans for the Holidays boys, looks like  Evil Santa Claus is coming to town"

Given the choice, I would rather be Holmes, than Home for the Holiday's anyway.













Submitted by John T Mainer #28840