Friday, May 23, 2014

An Opinion Piece By John T. Mainer

Honesty, loyalty, and fun. These are words to enjoy internet gaming by. I will be honest, I have an Alt. The joys of the crystal economy being what they are, I need to split my play between the two or I end up having to camp (and I like playing), or I can’t buy goodies and upgrade my mechs when I level up.

I am John T Mainer (legal name, rare on the internet) and Bolverk Borson, which is an Asatru in-joke as it is the name (translated meaning Evil Worker) that Odin took when he went among his enemies to steal knowledge and power. Having Alts means you can play pirates when you want, enjoy different challenges and different play styles, and play against different people.
Now comes Clan War.

Here is the thing, myself, my wife, my daughters, and each of our alts (yes we all have one) are members of the same Clan, and fight hard and loyally for that Clan. That seemed obvious to me that if you had an alt you would be in the same Clan, and I know a number of our Smurf Allies and other faction allies from other Clans identified themselves and their alts when they were joining up, to make sure they all going to make in one or another of our Factions. This is good, we want to be able to play hard, on our own, and on our alts, with the knowledge that we are all pulling together in common cause.

Not everyone feels this way. I found one of our own Faction, who was a lower level Alt of a faction we were fighting in the war. His record for us was, poor. He gave up a number of defensive victories. Now normally you attribute that to people being tired or stubborn, and not knowing when to quit, but when you realize he is literally playing both sides of the war, you begin to think it is not an accident, that perhaps this series of losses is not luck of battle but sabotage.

Wow. This is a video game people, but the person behind those choices is still you. We are our deeds, our choices, and their perception by others. If you have multiple Alts in a Clan war, you should make sure they are fighting on the same side. If you have a persona in Div 1 and Div 3 (and hey, why not) div 5, there is no appearance of misdoing. If you have two in Div 4, on two competing teams, people are going to wonder, and rightly so, if you are playing the game with us, or playing a game on us.

This is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as a policy of this publication, or the game developers.












 Submitted by John T Mainer#28840 Defenders of Bunny (Smurf Legion Faction)