Thursday, October 30, 2014

Holmboy Mecha Spotlight

This isn't the original Holmboy...that one, and its remake were both scrapped a long time back many levels ago. I'm not totally sure but according to records in my hangar it might be my third or fourth customization of a Holmes unit. I wish I'd kept better notes.

Anyway, I was in New California awhile back and learned of a sort of "sport" practiced by the people there involving light and medium weight division mecha that they call "mech surfing". You take advantage of the nimbleness of these mecha to ride an incoming wave of carnage during a battle. This iteration of Holmboy like the first two makes use of a Spinal Bracing and Nanobot Repair chassis while sporting an Omnigrav Rotational Engine.

I was at a mech shop when it hit me that since the Holmes is primarily an offensive focused mech lacking shielding options you've got to make due with clever chassis configurations.
At the time I was using torso plating but that stuff while providing an alright shield slows the sucker down considerably and in these less heavily armored/shielded guys it tends to be hit first, die later... or get scraped off a bigger mecha's hull/cockpit.

I saw there was a new type of Hip Shocks available that offered some ice protection, a speed boost, some dodge plus a bit of precision and I had to have it. Holmeboy isn't the fastest mecha in my fleet but a base speed of 19 + 4 more clocks it in at 23 which isn't too bad all in all.

For armaments I put in a Death Orchid I'd scored a long time ago from a lower division KoTM (Div 4 and 3 are super aggressive so I'd hoard stuff you win in 5 or even back in 6 if you're super cautious. Like they say though, hindsight is 20/20), and a Trident Beam I had just sitting around in the armory that had been laying there unused for awhile... the rest of Holmboy's weaponry being a bank of Res Lasers, Hyper Amps and Cheops Beams.

Fuzzy Dice, A Rackmount and Telescopic Sight make up the cockpit options for this customization.  Mech surfing is highly dangerous but if you have an alright amount of speed and dodge in your mecha you can pull it off in one piece.

It's the kickback that has rendered many a promising young pilot to paste however so your best bet is not trying it in your front line, but to attempt it in a line of your formation where you've got support from other heavier/more solid mecha.

Here are the stats for this iteration of Holmboy:

Laser Damage + 36%
Speed + 23
2X Damage 18%
Trample 5%
Crit-Kill 2%
Precision (10)
Slow (2)
Dodge (20)
Auto Repair (4)
Shield (1)
Ice Shield 8%
Kickback 10% odds 80% dam

Also, while in New California it helps if you kind of understand the lingo of its people (for example, know the difference between a "hodaddy" and a "shoobie").  Hang ten dudes.














Submitted by Mycobacter of Samurai Mecha#712744