Monday, April 25, 2016

Nerio Build by David McCallum #701548



As previously reported I had the misfortune of a visit by Sauron's Handmaiden (aka the Mother in Law) recently, and unfortunately for me, the only available bed was the one in the games room.


My games room.


This necessitated a certain amount of tidying up, and grudgingly I will admit it was a blessing in disguise as it unearthed a fair few projects I had ferreted away for future work.


Since its a long weekend over here, I got the time to actually get round to some of them.


One of the projects I unearthed was a few robots that I am relatively sure came free with fast food. I was originally going to use them as Knights chassis in Warhammer 40K, but one was close enough to be diverted for a different purpose.


There were a few tweaks and cuts needed, and the original paint job was banana yellow. I'm sure you'll agree the new base colour is far better than that.


I haven't bothered going through all the interim steps and effects as I've covered those in a previous article, but there is one new effects that has been used on this model.


Previous models have involved models that are around 30mm tall, whereas this one is 100mm tall, so it easily lends itself to a new technique; black-lining.


This is where you use either black (or in this case a darker shade of the base colour) to put a line around the edges of things like armour plates or other deep recesses to make them stand out. In this case it was a darker shade of blue to break up the armour segments.


What I end up with is hopefully something that is recognisable as a Nerio, or at least a reasonable representation of one.


The one thing that is missing are unit markings... but that would be maybe a spoiler as I'll be using this model in another piece later this week.





Submitted by by David McCallum #701548