Monday, October 13, 2014

Front Line Fight Gold

It was going to be a beautiful morning. The sun wasn't quite up yet but the air was brisk - Perfect for a run. I was about 2 miles into my morning sprint through the woods when all of a sudden, I hear a thunderous crash. I dive behind some rocks and slowly peer around them. "What the hell are these guys doing here?", I thought. A bunch of Mechs out here? ... Something's about to go down. I figure I might as well follow them and practice my Mech identification and stealth in the field. It would be good practice, so I began to ID and count them. These are DEFINITELY not good guys. I can barely make out one of them say, "C'mon guys, the loot will be worth it and there will be plenty of it. It's the payday we've been waiting for!" The others cheer and holler loudly. I better not push my luck. This is as close as I get. Wish I knew WHAT they were going to hit that was such a big score. There are no bases within 50 miles of here. Man ... I'm not running 50 miles to follow these guys.

 Then it hit me. SHIT! They're going to hit the school! That HAS to be it! I don't have time to run and warn them - it's 4 miles away. My only choice is to head back to base and get RoadRunner fired up. This isn't the field test I wanted, but I wasn't about to let my friends get killed - There's no way THAT was happening! I was so angry and the adrenalin kicked in - I was getting ready for the fight of my life. I was either going to succeed and be a hero or fail and die trying. As quickly as I could, I loaded my ordinance and did my last minute inspection to make sure RoadRunner was ready to go. Everything looked fine - She was a fine piece of machinery. Man ... I'm glad I went with the "woods camo" for her paint job. It should give me the element of surprise alright when they get a look at her. As I climbed in and secured myself, I paused and thought. Wow ... this is really happening! I'm a MECH PILOT! I placed my neuro helmet on and she came to life. I quickly went through my checklist. Great!!! Ready to go as she rose through the floor. I remembered years ago when I first found this secret hideout. That was a big turning point in my life. I knew in my heart that this was meant to be. I was destined to find this place and RoadRunner.

As I worked my way through the woods I got a feeling for her controls and how she moved. MAN ... she's fast and nimble! It seemed as if I was running through he woods myself. Before I knew it I was there. I slowly moved into position. I could see everyone. This was such a great spot! I looked at the two Holmes as they were their heaviest assets. I wanted to take them out first. As I locked my targets in I noticed some of the Pirates in the back moving slowly. Better now then never. I clicked on my intercom and said. "To the Pirates with no class attacking a school of young cadets ... This school is under my protection. Leave now or I claim your destroyed Mechs as salvage!" A minute passes. Well, guess they want to fight. Here goes nothing! "RoadRunner, let's show them what we can do. Fire Big Bertha as she braces!" WHOOSH!!! Seconds later, I yell "GOT HIM!!! Quick, lets get the other one. They know what we're made of. Don't stop ... Keep moving as fast as we can." I thought. She obeyed every command with precision. "Fire Shrieking Pain!" As I moved in, BOOM! ... Got the second one. All of a sudden I hear "Woodman, I'm on your 9 O'Clock. Let's DO this!" Oh my God! It's Woody!!! I felt relieved. "Thanks for joining the fight guys!" As we moved in, it was very clear RoadRunner was the fastest on the field but Woody covered my 6. Just then, I noticed one of the Ants go up in flames.

 As the battle continued, I looked around. We were winning and they were on the run. Just then I hear,"Let the rest go men!" It was Randy. As the last two enemy Mechs ran from view, I surveyed the battlefield. I notice we're three Ants short. Woody and I move to Randy's position and shut down. As I climb out of my Mech, cadets from the other Mechs run up to me, shake my hand and thank me. All of a sudden, I hear "Attention!" from one of the senior cadets. I turn, and there's Randy. He walks towards me and stops. He quickly snaps his hand up to his brow and salutes me. He then says, "Good job Woodman and thanks ... We couldn't have done it without your help. If you want to become a Song clan member, you've earned it." WOW! Coming from from him it meant a lot. I reached out to shake his hand. "I gladly accept sir." That's just how I remember becoming a Song clan member and started up a lifelong friendship with the most unsuspecting member of Song, "Woody". From that point on, we've been the best of friends.










Submitted by Woodman 1201#832644