Thursday, November 6, 2014

Jabberwocky Gets A New Life

As our regular readers know I have in my possession the now infamous Jabberwocky, a Dilophops mech that has seen much occur within our Galaxy. She once served in the AFF with her pilot Jabber, she bested Shogunate forces and survived a Sever piloting bounty hunter, she later was taken as her original pilot was killed by the Niodemancer Johnathan Judas and renamed as The Heretic. Judas thought he also rewrote her programming, and destroyed her A.I., turns out she just hid deep within the mechs sub routines.

After her defeat by Illyrian forces while she was under the command of Judas she came onto the open market, this is when I obtained her. I rediscovered the A.I. hiding deep within the mech and brought her fully back online. Since that time she has served me well and seen many more battles. The A.I. gets smarter after each encounter, cataloging the enemy mechs build weaknesses, as well as pilot errors and computing the next move within a probability matrix. This leads to an uncanny ability of the mech to predict the enemy movements and take proper countermeasures to ensure her victory. Overall it is an exceptional A.I. and has served me well as my personal mech for some time now.

But as with all mechs she is starting to show her battle scars, the servos move a little slower, the targeting system has a fraction of a second lag time in it, the weapons cycle just a bit slower these days, all signs of a long and honorable career as a machine of battle. The reality of the situation was simply that I needed to replace the body, given she was an A.I. I could download her onto the Brotherhoods mainframe for safe keeping until an acceptable replacement could be found.

I didn't have to wait long as soon I found one of the ancient Regis mechs in Yomi Reefs. As has been noted in the past these mechs are superior to the now mass produced models made by Star Factories. Thankfully it did not take long to transport this husk of a mech back to  Brotherhood  space and get it in working order. Amazing the things you can do when you have a whole clan family worth of resources at your disposal. It took awhile but we got the ancient machine back online, fully armed and brought up to the maximum level of piloting that I could safely handle for the time being.

Now came the fun part hooking the body up with the brain I had waiting for it. I spent hours upon hours mapping and remapping neural pathways, nerve to niode reflex times, and general interface calibration responses. I hooked the Brotherhood mainframe into the Regis body and monitored the transference from the pilot seat of the Forerunner war machine. That's when things got interesting, it turns out this Regis wasn't just a husk it had its own A.I. installed.

It wasn't happy about being awoken, much less at the prospect of being deleted and replaced. It had basic drone combat module intelligence capabilities installed on it, unfortunately this did little against a evolving A.I. capable of learning and predicting the enemies next move. The mech itself shuddered, weapons cycled to fire, then back to safe mode, the whole thing lit up from head to tail in a massive silent explosion of light, then all went silent and the mech was still.

Just as I was about to disengage from the neural network the mech came alive violently. It spun about and stalked down the length of the hanger until it stood in front of the Dilophos frame. I tried like mad to shut it down but nothing would respond. The Twin Grazer laser cannons came online, powering up lightning fast with me having no hope in hell of shutting them down. There was a splash of light accompanied by a crack much like a peal of thunder, and the Dilophos frame simply blew apart.

I was just about to have a full blown panic attack  in what I thought was a rogue mech until the internal comm systems came on and a familiar voice said, " Battle A.I. Wocky online, enemy A.I. deleted, this is my body now. Mecha designation rewritten as Jabberwocky, ready for combat when you are Pilot."

Once I got my heart rate under control I started laughing long and loud. " Jabberwocky is dead, long live Jabberwocky.", was all I could say between bursts of laughter.














Submitted by Pat Willis#224534