Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mecha Spotlight Waldo The Harrell

My Harrell is named both after the remote manipulator arm machine and a series of children's books about a difficult to spot traveler who liked to hide within crowds. I have a slight confession to make.  My skill in aiming projectiles is somewhat wanting... which is the main reason why I tend to overwhelmingly prefer either guns that have built-in precision bonuses or letting Battle AIs control guidance.

Waldo has a pair of Exacto Shots and a large bank of Wrecker Shots crowned by a Six Shooter in its arsenal.  It took me a whole ton of engineering to accomplish but by linking a great many Betrus Processors in series and teaching the mecha's Battle AI some predictive algorithms during deep meditation sessions I think I've gotten a hang of Waldo's most devastating attack, the Teleshot: Phasing shells which density shift can be materialized in an enemy rather than penetrating through it.  I know that sounds insane but on inspecting the trashed hulks of enemies I've faced piloting Waldo... my salvage crew documented this phenomena.

Is it cheating to have a complex simulation do the aiming for you?  I guess that is something I can ponder about later.  All I know is it seems to work well enough for the most part.  Advanced Alloys, Wheeled Feet, a Muon Junction, Trilerian Sprockets, an Energy Aura and Heracles Fibers get this brutal siege engine going and it's powered by a Dark Matter Converter that is fed from an Indefinite Singularity. The only shielding which it lacks as of present is adequate defense against missiles... I'll have to upgrade Waldo a bit more to unlock that fifth shield bay expansion slot.

Waldo has 28 speed, 52 precision, 49 Dodge, 38% increased double damage chance, 26% increased triple damage chance, 10% Fork, 12% freeze and Crit-kill.  A slow ability of 8, 4 Auto Repair and 134 Shield round out Waldo's defensive capabilities.  Unfortunately the trample bonus is quite low at 4% but with the right equipment mods perhaps this can be improved at subsequent levels.

Waldo is a workhorse for some of my more exotic equipment prototypes and is the first unit I've attempted running the thermographic imaging based AR Targeting system in.  Though still much more comfortable in close combat or using missiles, I'm beginning to get a little more used to projectile based mechs and am realizing they are capable of their own formidable amount of badassery.

Particularly when there are techniques available in their arsenal like the Teleshot.  TIAR targeting is an idea I'd gotten from Drake's antithesis which involves changing the way in which a pilot visualizes his or her targets.  It makes use of visual sensors which can track targets based on their heat signatures and a cockpit sporting a embedded combination of holographic projector systems and pilot motion capture devices.  These then composite scaled down false images of the enemies you are facing right there in the cockpit with you so that rather than looking out of a cockpit window or through scopes it feels like you are the mecha facing them down... sort of.

Doing all this while simultaneously controlling projectile trajectories places quite a strain on system resources though and I worry that the network of Betrus Processors I've used to accomplish this runs risk of overheating in the middle of a fight.  So far it hasn't but things have been just a wee bit glitchier than I'd like.













Submitted by Mycobacter#712744