Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Different People Get Their Skills Different Ways

As I had said before, I did not receive my pilot training from an academy or any government's military.  I was the son of merchants and learned to pilot mecha at an early age at first just as a hobby.  I was a scientist by trade, so any fighting prowess I have gained would be due to my subsequent careers as an adventurer and mercenary.  Those taught me more... then I studied mecha martial arts in my clan and learned still more.  It also helps being an enhanced human.  Something any cyborg could tell you although my augmentations I'd received were not cybernetic. They were biological and genetic.

A human that has had some alien Forerunner genes added to his or her genome is one thing.  Some of the "people" Drake and I have encountered in the Negaverse, a parallel dimension to our own one though, are even more removed from what would be considered "human" here. Their genomes have been largely overwritten with Kaiju Beast Mecha DNA sequences.  It's really quite bizarre.  Not if you think back to how the Gigus and Skriag were engineered from the Nakshi though.  Before being enhanced into gigantic biomechanical war machines they did reside on some planets... supposedly.  To understand the Antihumans better though, theirs is a people that is obsessed with progress.  They continue to rewrite their own code, obsessed with inducing mutations on purpose. It's a dank, murky, polluted place on the whole but they call it home and despite all the toxins and environmental hazards manage to carve out an existence. A twisted reflection of the one we have, true, but they seem hopeful.  Even as their own race, due to excessive gene modding faces the brink of its own extinction as large sections of their population have gone sterile.  I think what will happen is they may come to be wholly synthetic creatures, mixtures of machine and artificial flesh as a process of natural (or in this case unnatural) selection.  This would be their most predictable next logical evolutionary step, without interference, of course.  Drake says he thinks he can reverse most of the damage through gene therapy and the Antihumans' Norunner technology based terraforming machines.  I think he means to do so by way of a sort of a "reverse plague" where instead of making people sick and weaker or killing them off it would make them stronger and healthier.

Now he's an interesting case.  A man who is though human, the cumulative product of an almost cannibalistic learning approach like that of a regenerative flatworm. You see, Drake has several clones of himself, and in an extremely bizarre way, they share or transmit experience to each other or at least they send it back to him, in a manner which I do not entirely understand.  The process involved in carrying it out does seem to be a destructive one but that is all I have managed to observe.

He had studied in Novum Dolorum and trained in tactics under Titus, a behemoth of a man legendary for his toughness.  This figure hones his skills unwaveringly in a high gravity deathworld of the Yomi Gravity Reefs by taking on all comers from all quadrants just as a morning training exercise.  They say he does this just for fun.

My clan's leader is another odd example. Nobody is too sure where TcTt came from and if you try to trace it backwards through his travels, you come up with an endless series of trips.  He just sort of showed up from some part of deep space, and no one knows where he originated from.  For all I know Tc could have traveled the entire universe multiple times and at that each place maybe even more than once. Or at the very least he seems to have been to a large part of it and definitely has fought a lot.  He is the founder of the Mecha Bushido and taught me how to tame beast mecha.  A warrior most obviously but perhaps also a bit of a mystic.  That too is difficult for me to ascertain.










Submitted by Mycobacter#712744