Tuesday, October 18, 2016

My Nerdom Runs Strong And Deep By Pat Willis#224534

I am a nerd. Always have been and it was cool. See my earliest memory of the sci-fi/FX heavy films was Star Wars: The Empire Strikes back. Let me tell you Vader scared the hell outta me as a kid. If I remember right it was my Dad who took me. My grandfather got me into comics as he worked at Western Publishing and was always bringing me Over sized magazine edition Battlestar Galactica (Original series), Hard cover over sized He-Man and the Masters of the Universe comics, and a ton of Valiant comics (XO-Man of war, Captain Atom, Mangus robot fighter).

 My Dad took me to I think pretty much every generation 1 Star Trek film that came out. (Wrath of Kahn will always be my favorite), he also took me to see the first Predator film. Then to round it all out there was my Uncle. He was big into horror. I can remember him transferring all his Beta max tapes to VCR. I also remember he cataloged all the flicks he had and for my birthday/xmas/special occasions, he'd  hand me the list and say pick what you want. My first remembered horror flick, the one that really freaked me out and made me notice was the Original Nightmare on Elm Street.

I think it was my moms birthday and we were all at my uncles house so he let her pick the film. She picked Nightmare. The scene with the dead chick in the school being dragged in that dammed body bag to this day makes the kid in me go..no no no not looking nope.. lol. I had my head buried in a Fangoria Magazine my Uncle had, reading about the very FX I was watching yet still could not watch that scene it freaked me the hell out.

I spent most my pre teen and high school years buried in pen and paper Rpgs like Rifts, ShadowRun, Gamma world, mech warrior, battletech, Ravenloft. I grew up watching Generation 1 Transformers, Robotech and original Lion Voltron (not that BS car crap that was Voltron Force), Visionaries, SilverHawks,...you get the idea.

My circle of friends in high school aside from doing the whole Rpg thing also collected comics. I had been into those since I could read thanks to my Grandpa so X-men, Batman, Sandman, Posion Elves (Original Mulehide graphics through to the authors death when he was with Sirius) original B&W Evil Ernie, Rebel/northstar studios/avatar books - Faust love of the Dammed. And my god the books.

My mom and Grandmother as well as uncle would get me books especially if it said Stephen King or Clive Barker on it  I read it. Hell I devoured it. Watched all the movie or TV show translations, had to have every book that came out when it came out..lol Added them to my library of mythology books, native folk lore tales, and pretty much any book that had to do with haunting s and at the time even UFO's.

So various nerdoms have had me since the very beginning and that ladies and gents is how this nerd was created. The perfect storm of just awesome stuff coming out at one time, me being blown away by it all. Still am to this day some films wake up that kid in there who fell into movies and comics at a young age and never crawled out again.

So what does all this have to do with Mecha Galaxy? Simple it caught my attention on a nerd level. Giant robots fighting it out for the domination of the galaxy, come on what's not to love there. So much there reminding me of other series and times in the mechas we use or maybe a story line here or there. Also so much straight up new and original ideas being worked on pretty much daily.

Story lines to iron out, lore to mull over, deciding what to run with and what not. All in all it is a bit of a dream come true for a nerd like me. Do I do this professionally? Nope I'm not with the Game Craftsmen. Wish I could do this kind of thing for a living, but I just play the game and run the site for niodes like any submitter. So don't ever let anyone get on you for being a nerd and liking what you like. It can lead you to some great places, and leave you with awesome memories.

Submitted by Pat Willis#224534