Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Report From Novum

On failing my third attempt at beating Tory. I should only try these on weekends.....

I’m relaxing on my bunk, reading about the Cindron mech online. We are having a break day while the higher-ups decide whether there are enough troops to justify our forward outpost. I hope not, but there are only five squads here. If they liquidate our base, I’ll lose my position as commander. My comm system crackles to life.

“Sir, someone wants to speak to you.”

Garron was manning the communications center. The man never stops.
“Alright, patch it through.”

“Sir, It’s from Novum Dolorum.”

“Not again.”

“ CAPTAIN TOBIAS!!!!!!!!!!”

I consider how justified I am if I set the comm to mute.
“EXPLAIN WHY I HAVE YOUR SQUAD IN MY CELLS FOR THE THIRD TIME THIS MONTH!”

“Because they’re idiots?”

“DON’T GIVE ME THAT. Who is ordering you to snoop around my facilities?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about”

I message Garron via text to prepare our mechs for transport.

“Don’t play stupid with me. We’ve spoken before, I can tell when you’re lying. You are taking a job that involves spying on top secret research. IT ENDS NOW. Do you understand?”

“Maybe. Also, it’s COMMANDER Tobias, thank you.”

I shut the comm off before Tory can continue chewing me out.

“Sir? Orders?”

“Tell me Garron, did anyone mention that they were going to Novum Dolorum?”

“Can’t remember, sir.”

“Alright. I’m sick of being yelled at by leaders of security, aren’t you?”
“Sir, we really shouldn’t do anything rash...”

“The Novum Dolorum mechanics are never told what to and what not to repair, as they have no security clearance. There’s a good chance Tory’s own people have repaired our mechs. I’m thinking jailbreak.”

“Whatever you think is best, sir.”

“This is the point at which I would sarcastically ask the squad if there were any other suggestions. There never are. Firstly because none of them can think of a plan if a million niodes hung in the balance, secondly because this time nobody is here on account of them all being detained by security. We are going in all guns blazing. Get over it”

“Yes, sir…”














Submitted by Toby Easterbrook/844872