Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Coldheart Engine Review by David McCallum : #701548



I'M ALIVE!!!!


I put this down to my cast iron constitution coupled with a crash diet of curry and VATs as opposed to Nurse Jessica's diagnosis of 'Man Flu'...


It could also, perhaps, be due to an amount of excitement while browsing the trade catalogues.


You see, I was flicking through to see what would pair nicely with the new Medusa rig when lo and behold this jumped out at me.


The Coldheart Engine.


Now, I don't recall seeing much in the way of advertising or fanfare for this piece, and I can normally sniff this in the wind when it comes to goodies for the mid-weight mecha.


Just goes to show how close I was to knocking on Deaths Door.


But I digress... what we have in a 23 Niode, 456 Bioptic, 520 Ferrite engine module aimed at the 30 - 50 ton weight bracket. Speed rating 20, a bit of overcharge damage and a 6% boost to Cold damage.


Now I love an engine, especially a nicely balanced block like this one. Its a matter of physics that crystal matrices give the best raw speed at any given weight bracket and you can almost swap this thing directly out for a Wankel Rotary given a large enough budget with no ill effects.


The thing is, whenever I see new gear on the market, I always pay attention to the pieces that instantly jump out at me with the sure knowledge that I know where I'm going to put it. If you put your hand to your ear, you will quite literally hear a Banshee crying for these... and if you have already invested the funds to get one to the level where its Ice stats come into play, you must have the fundage to be able to invest in some of these.


Dig a little deeper though and some interesting options come up. You can obviously fit them on a Nifthel, but a good option is always to use the fastest engine you can on the heaviest mech it will fit.


I'll thow some combos out there... Coldheart, Thermal Analyser, Luison, Oggun, Nephilax, Vizi, Zadok. If that can't bridge the gap between the Nifthel and Warg while still catering to the machines natural abilities.



Submitted  by David McCallum : #701548