Tuesday, September 9, 2014

This Mountain Is MINE!

Nervously I hovered near the mountain port. Last one was such a big anticlimax in the end, that this time I really wanted to be first in. Sign in notification was ready, I sent in my buffer, only was waiting for the channel to open...

Port activation. Send! Full power and best charge speed, in I went. Collided something but who cares, adrenaline rushed in me when I climbed up. And up. And up. Hah, first in . Okay, time to check what kind event this was. King Chrono! Shutdown! And down...

Chrono? Why did this have to be a chrono? Pilots need to sleep sometimes, and in chrono you can"t, not in this division! ...err, what division i am? Eight. Okay, not so bad. Unlimited mech lines... and I'm in 25 tonners, no wonder... Quick connection to the Camp, briskly orders came in and there was a small enough wait. Ah, here they are, my main armaments. Unhindered we changed my hobby line to the serious business one, made last minutes adjustments to the equipment and weapons, and I was as ready as I can be.

Chrono! That always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Well, this I cant win, but I try to be a little bit of a nuisance anyway. Time to check, do I know any of opponents. Couple smurfs from camp (can shoot ones, lucky) and bunny. No serious threats in sight, let the wait begin.

A little shooting and points emerge. Hmm... I wonder... bunny went to the top, and nobody shoot... still more than an hour before next points can emerge... Time, nobody's moving. Five minutes, all quiet. Carefully aimed shot, another, third and bunny drop. Up I go, points and shutdown. Eh, little late bunny but good to know you are wake. 90 minutes to relax and then I look again at whats happening.

So it begins. When points drop, I waited 90 minutes and then shot someone above me down, sometimes nobody shot right back at me, and sometimes I was back down so dam fast. But always I was in the top three when points came. And last events hatorites affected me still, so even  at night I did wake and managed to go up just to take points before sleep hit me again.

New day, and I was in the lead in points. That was surprise. Again I waited my time. This time bunny was smart, I think his plan was the same one. If  I shot him, I was back down before two minutes were past. So I waited below him, always testing near point drop, and sometimes I was lucky and got points. Exciting.

Something happened. I couldn't drop anybody. I used all my energy, and not a single one hit. Still in the lead but others will catch me soon. Hell, I ordered a few upgrades. After delivery of my new purchase, if I can equip it, I may still pull this off. All savings gone, missed a few points, but back in fighting condition. Top again, but I did notice that I dropped down faster than before.

Sneaky ones were upgrading their mechs. Gotta be. I did and still I needed multiple attacks to drop any of them down. Darn. Night. Still can't sleep soundly, so I did steal a few points. But wonder of wonders, my lead was still increased. And points will drop more rapidly now on.

Black market dealers! Yes! I got in touch, and good news was, they could deliver needed upgrades. Bad news was expenses. Negotiations were fierce, I ended to give up weapons, and few equipment. When I run out of those, I sold mechs to them. Then another. Third. But I got my parts (and mounting) of them, so I could continue.

Bunny was damn active. It was more luck than skill that I got all my points, but new opponents helped. They take top places, so my real rivals did not get enough points. But I started to calculate like I was obsessed. If my points are those, then I can stay in here, and if those get those, then I need those... again and again.

After every drop I recalculated it all. My lead increased. Only three enemies who can catch me anymore and the last day starts. Don't know what happened, but those three really didn't move so much in that day. New ones kicked them down freely, and sometimes me too, but I was happy if I was top of those three.

Points emerge. I win if I stay top 3. More points, top 4 is enough. More and more, then night again but now top 8 is enough if the next in points don't take all whats left.

I really did not sleep so well at that night. Time to time I did wake and check the situation. But so sleepy I was, that I have no energy to fight, when it looked that I won't loose too many points (or opponents won't get enough). Sleep takes over.

Morning. Brand new Nephilax. So tired. So stupid. Yeah, I won. That cost me all my savings. All my spare weapons. Most of my spare equipment. And my beautiful, full upgraded, hobby mechs. Three months worth of work. Gone. Time to crawl back to the camp and bed. Few days of sleeping, and maybe this will start feel like a victory. Now it really does not.














Submitted by Huijari Peli#712166