Friday, September 26, 2014

Absolutely Zero

I nearly drove myself to the point of bankruptcy going to great pains to completely refurbish an old Frigis mecha, part of why I named it Zero (both in reference to Absolute Zero the theoretical coldest of cold temperatures anything can reach and as a self-deprecating callback to having ran out of Niodes funding this restoration project).  My boss and editor at Galaxy Gathering, Patrick Willis is somewhat of an authority on these and based off a tip I'd received from him, I'd thawed Zero, my "new" Frigis from a glacier it was found trapped in on Sigiss-6.  After removing the corpse of its previous owner and cleaning the cockpit, stripping the wrecked components and replacing all the rusted equipment I feel like I finally have a new weapon worthy of participating in Clan Wars XVIII.

Armaments: For weapons I kept the Galaxy Eye, Arctic Gale and Flash Freeze.  I upped the number of Res Lasers from 2 to 7, tacked on 2 Hyper Amps, and scrapped the two Focused Icers instead swapping them out for 2 Envelopers, 4 White Knights and 5 Yeti's Banes.

Cockpit Features:  The cockpit expansion slots on a Frigis are a tad spartan but 3 spaces can still be enough to pack an adequate helping of targeting and sensor equipment.  I consider the Frigis mecha the ideal vehicle for I.C.E. targeting, so that choice seemed obvious.  In the remaining two slots I have housed a significantly overclocked Betrus Processor running a Battle AI.

Chassis Features: On upgrading this Frigis (dubbed "Zero") to level 58 a generous 6 Chassis slots became available for me to tinker with on it.  This is where the fun starts.  I fully decked Zero out with Magnetic Connectors, Wheeled Feet, A Coolant System, Muon Junction, set of Heracles Fibers and an Energy Aura unit.

Engines:  On upgrading to level 40, the Frigis has 4 Engine slots available to it.
I gave Zero an Indefinite Singularity, Caged Singularity, Dark Matter Converter and a Shrieker Mark 2.

Featured Shielding:  Zero had a total of 4 shield slots become available on upgrading to level 45.  I chose four Delta shields: Arctic (Ice), Thiokol (missiles), Faraday (lasers), and Caudata (fire).  An unusual thing to note about the Frigis mecha is that is an Ice based mech that happens to have a naturally occurring 10% ice vulnerability.

I wonder how exactly the previous owner had met his demise but that is but a passing curiousity.  What's more concrete is that renovating Zero has given me a powerful new Ice and Laser armed mecha in time for the latest upcoming Clan War.













Submitted by Mycobacter#712744