Thursday, September 18, 2014

Seeking a Grant from the Space Cowboy Turned Senator Part I

"Well, Ahm sorry Misser Myco, Ah don't like to be the one to tell y'all this but Ah don't think Ah can get the Trinitarian's Ag Lobby to give you an' that business partner of yers Drake an exclusive contract for new genetically modified staple food crops at the present this term. Maybe next session. Yeh see, another entrant filed first and had all the work fer it done before either of you had approached me. I can't do anything about it. Yeah he stinks of something not fully legal but you'll have to look into it; I've got my hands tied as is. Oh, his name? Buzz Muerte, from Death Chemicals.  Yeah, the pest control giant whose HQ is in Cog Port. Why? Hallo? Huh, he hung up."  That wasn't like mycobacter, his manners were when addressing officials tended to be more courteous.  The chairman of the Trinitarian Worlds Symposium Parliament's Labor Party  shrugged off myco's abrupt ending their conference call though. He had a whole lot of Party Legislation sitting in front of him to process before the day could be over.

This was going to be a big problem.  Though neither myco nor Drake had enough empirical evidence to pin this Buzz guy, he had a reputation for being something of a sleaze and had an unsafe employee record. Every time he was audited though by the authorities he somehow managed to turn up clean.

Maybe the problem was that he was finding out in advance when the inspections were scheduled?  If I could just get somebody to dig up the dirt on Muerte and his company... thinks myco.

The person  myco sought out who seemed best suited to this task agreed to meet me at a seedy dive bar in Cogwerk Port, where they would negotiate a price. Metal walks into the bar and looks around cautiously there are always some mercs or other ruffians out to cause trouble.  Not that i worry about them. With my cybernetic implants I always have the advantage.  I slip quietly into the booth we agreed to meet in and wait patiently for my contact to get there.

"Didn't know you were a cyborg. Anyway, my sources tell me you're one the best when it comes to digging up dirt on corrupt businessmen. Metal, right?"  Myco plunks a bag of Niodes down onto the tabletop at the semi-private bench where it makes a small clang.

"Yes so I'm told, I just do what i do best for a price."

"In a way, I'm glad.  I'll judge it more on your results though but I am a post human too." Myco raises his sleeve to make it more evident that his "skin" is actually a symbiotic alien creature.  "Can I get you a drink?" He flags the bartender over and she retrieves an order pad.  "Sal, two Rizpah Fizzes if you'd be so kind,"  Myco waits for the barmaid to leave before addressing the matter of business at hand.

"Yes I had heard as much there isn't a lot  I don't hear about anyone for the right price you can get whatever you want" I grin  politely but underneath is the smile of a cunning man who knows his craft.

"Oh good. Well, the target is the owner of one of the local chemical plants.  My associate and I have reason to believe he is using under the table methods for political advantage.  I trust the bag of Niodes is to your liking... first payment is up front and second will be on completion of the... investigation, like we'd talked about."

"Good, good" I count the niodes to be sure they are all there not that I don't trust the great Mycobacter but you can't be too careful these days "So what are you looking for how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go? So to speak." I sip  lightly on the rizpah fizz before me and thank the barmaid for  it.

"I'm glad you asked Mister Metal." Myco makes a small laugh and retrieves a photo from his jacket pocket.  "This guy, Buzz Muerte owns a large plant, Death Chemicals, not too far from here actually.  He's beaten me and Drake to the punch on project bids from the Trinitarian World Symposium and we think he might be using some dirty tricks to consistently win over the other applicants.  His workers, they have tried to unionize a couple times in the past, right? But it would seem each attempt abruptly ceased before any major negotiations were reached.  If you think you can find out why, there will be a larger reward in it for you than the price we'd originally set on.

"If the information is there I can find it that's what I do "Good man, now, there is a second reason I'd like you to be extra discreet about this Metal; Are you familiar with the Space Cowboy politician J'onn Deere? He actually asked us to get somebody to look at this but doesn't want his administration linked to the snooping around."

"I understand and will do everything I can to keep this from getting any bigger than it may already be." Myco thanks Metal and puts the first round of drinks on his card before promptly leaving. I walk over to the bar maid asking for another Rizpah Fizz and casually strike up a conversation with her. I ask if she has ever seen Buzz Muerte in here before she tells me she has a few days ago, that he was talking to some of his workers, got into a big argument with one of them. She heard them discussing unionizing the plant but Buzz didn't take too kindly to that idea. "They seemed to have worked it out by the end of the night though with Buzz buying everyone drinks next thing I know my regulars started just not showing up I didn't think anything of it 'til 4-5 of them stopped coming in."

Interesting I wonder what's going on guess I will have to go to the plant myself and see what I can find out thank you again miss Sal for the Rizpah fizzes and the good company hmmm just like myco to leave me the tab I pay up and drink  the last of my fizz. I get up to leave the bar then two burly guys approach as I'm heading out the door I don't think anything of it 'til I notice one with his hand on his holstered gun I get ready and think to myself why can't these types just learn. I guess they just have to learn the hard way. I scan  them both with my  optical implant,  using my infrared   the one guy tries to jump me from behind I manage to get him off me with a well timed flip over my shoulder aiming at the other thug he dodges his friend just in time, and before he can pull the gun I rush in hit him in the gut doubling him over, then I give him a knee to the head and throw him to the side. By this time the other thug is up and circling me warily seeing how I dispatched his friend so easily.

I motion of to come at me he comes at me with a hard right to the jaw I rub my jaw, nice one I say he throws a few more punches I dodge and weave taking a good measure of him catching him with some rights and lefts to the ribcage. I think to myself well its time to finish this I let him have his fun I step inside his defenses, and take him by surprise taking him down with a leg trip and as he start to get up kicked him once more to make sure he stayed down. I look around at the carnage and apologize to the bartender, but she says they had it coming. I ask if I can pay for the damages, she says not to worry about it she will cover it just keeping those kind of ruffians out of her bar is enough. I say ok and thank her again and start out the door down the street towards the local robotics shop. I think some of my implants might need a bit of adjusting...and the owner is a good friend of mine anyways.










Submitted by Mycobacter #712744, MetalX72 #707530