Sunday, August 10, 2014

How I Came To Stop Hating Fides And Learned To Love The Mech War

The tale of how I came to have my Nakshi is one of patience.  Quanta I call her and the gal was patient as I took my time restoring her.  Now Claymore and Giga Rex have a big sister who is loaded to the metaphorical gills with projectile weaponry and lasers.  Let me start at the beginning though.  Sit down and a have a beer because this is going to be kind of a long one.

You may not be aware of this but there was a brief period of time where the Hegemony and Old Mars were in conflict with each other.  It took place during my childhood and as a result for the few years during which it took place the Hegemony attempted to place an embargo on the colony in which my family lived.  Enterprising merchants got around these sanctions by employing privateers and using Earth's Moon as a staging area for the resulting gray market.  My family was friends with a group of space pirates headed by a captain whose surname was Dragoon.  In fact, one of his sons, Miguel, was my best friend as a kid.  His cousin Elizabeta it turns out, liked me.  Anyway, long story short, the Dragoon family eventually got caught and that moon market went bust when Hegemony MPs dropped down on them in Fides.

 Miguel got crushed to death under the legs of one and Elizabeta was critically injured.  I didn't know it at the time but apparently she'd wanted me to marry her when I reached the right age.  The culture in the Dragoon family is a bit peculiar, but like I was saying, for whatever reason Elizabeta had the hots for little Myco. So, it turns out she and Miguel had saved me a sort of a treasure star-map of one of their better finds.  It was supposedly going to be the dowry for Elizabeta and I. It had a difficult puzzle lock on it too, this is what the Dragoons' lawyer told me on visiting a few years following when the captain was sentenced to death.  I didn't think much of it at the time but wondered what Miguel and Elizabeta had wanted me to have.  Yeah, that's what the funny odd puzzle you see me fiddling with sometimes is.  Well, turns out the other day that I solved it.  And what they had in there in addition to that star map surprised me even more.  There was a cybernetic engram containing an AI set up to approximate Elizabeta's personality.

 The real Elizabeta had long since died but the AI explained herself to be one last present for me from the person she was modeled after and basically was designed to help me find the Dragoon family's lost treasure.  Which as it turned out was a highly damaged Nakshi unit but I'm getting ahead of myself (also how the hell you manage to badly damage something as tough as a Nakshi I have no idea).  In the end the whole venture of hunting after it and hiring people to help me recover the darned thing on Vupa 6 cost about as much as I would have spent on a new Nakshi that wasn't damaged.  And yeah, Mad Mulligan, Malicious and Herod were none too pleased with our digging around on there.  Anyway, while on Vupa 6 recovering that beat up Nakshi eLiza-ß(the AI's name) revealed to me that she's also a fully functioning Battle AI. So not wanting to waste much time I installed her in the damaged mecha, a female Nakshi.  The personalities of eLiza-ß and the Nakshi merged and I named her Quanta.

She and Claymore man one half of my front line while Giga Rex mans the other half with a Dilophos assisting him (he kinda prefers working alone, so having a unit subordinate to him was the most acceptable compromise).  That being said though, those three beast mecha seem to work exceptionally well together.  Thanks Betts, I'm sorry your family suffered so much personally during that conflict but in a way your memory or a slight approximation of it in some form lives on in Quanta.













Submitted by Mycobacter#712744