Friday, August 1, 2014

Ode to Skriag

Unlike my Gigus with which I and he have a strained relationship at best that I constantly have to work at, my Skriag and I got along pretty well almost immediately.  I’m a scientist and as far as beast mecha go he is too.  The way they sense is different from us.  They have an almost innate awareness of the way structures are. Putting it another way, the Skriag is able to discern how the atoms a piece of matter is composed of are arranged, most of the time.

I named it Claymore, both after the ancient broadsword and the antiquated military landmine.  He has a number of special missiles I’d salvaged from some of my older mecha that were already on their way to the scrapheap and doesn’t seem to mind this designation (his name).  When I am inside Claymore he is always suggesting to me new attack strategies he would like to try, and looking for challenges comparing with me thoughts about ways to cut into the various materials he encounters using his sword arms.  An eager mecha, and tooled to have high auto repair abilities, on the rare occasions Claymore gets injured from trying to cut through a material which is too dense, it usually won’t take too long for him to be back in swinging, slashing and chopping shape.

My Gigus Giga Rex is arrogant and as the fighter with greater seniority in my formation will often feign a slight disdain toward Claymore outside of battle, but they function together well enough in my front line and Giga isn’t too stubborn to accept directions from me and the occasional suggestions from Claymore in the heat of combat.

Where Giga is a raging and frankly volcanic berserker, Claymore is more the precise duelist.
He and Giga Rex use their missiles to support the rest of my formation then Claymore will use his lasers and projectiles to pick off individual enemies as Giga razes and freezes entire lines.  I also feel that sometimes they strategize on their own behind my back because there are times I catch them in the hangar late at night having probably had conversations which always just so happen to abruptly end when they notice me.  I don’t worry too much about it though.  I’m glad their rivalry is mostly just for show.  They are blood brothers, their bonds forged in war and fighting together.







Submitted by Mycobacter#712744