Friday, February 6, 2015

Mecha Spotlight Northstar The Boreas By Pat Willis#224534

I love a good ice mech no secret there, my Frigis, Frozen Dream has long been a favorite of mine. So when I saw the Boreas available for purchase I just had to have one really. These puppies are expensive though no doubt about it. They run 17,400 Ferrite, 14,200 Bioptics, and 150 Niodes. Also remember that as a Niode mecha they cost 3 Niodes per level plus resources to gain a level and these aren't even available until you have a minimum pilot skill of 50. Right off the assembly line they come with two Winter's Grasp ice weapons, a Burning Ice, a Polar Vortex, two Gorgons, and four envelopers. No equipment per usual.

For the record I am now level 96, my mech is only level 59 at the moment so the build is more to show the direction I am taking this in, the final result once it attains my actual level may have variances. At level 59 however the stats are as follows just with build stats before equipment.

Tons: 95
Level: 59
Armor: 841
Class: Boreas
Bonuses before
equipment:
Ice Damage + 60%
Speed - 24
Speed + 18
Precision (27)
3X Damage 8%
Slow (5)
Trample Shield 50%
Splash Shield 25%
Laser Shield 40%
Wide Fork 4%

What I have done so far with the six available cockpit slots is filled them all with Haptic Interfaces for the 13 per piece Precision bonuses. The five chassis slots are taken up by Muon Junctions for added fork and freeze ability  at 6% each and a dodge of 10 per piece. So far the four engine slots are filled with R.A.C.E. Engines for additional dodge at 1% per piece, auto repair of one per piece, and overall speed of +10 per piece. So all told the build stats above after my equipment additions are as follows...

Level: 59 / 96
Armor: 841
Ice Damage + 60%
Proj. Damage + 16%
Speed + 34
Fork 30%
Trample 18%
Wide Fork 4%
3X Damage 8%
Crit-Kill 12%
Slow (5)
Precision (105)
Dodge (54)
Freeze 30%
Auto Repair (4)
Splash Shield 25%
Trample Shield 50%
Laser Shield 40%
Class: Boreas
Weapons: 29

Keep in mind it isn't fully leveled up yet so the stats will assuredly change once it hits the proper level. It has a long way to go and has been costly in niodes to equip and arm so again just an idea of the direction I am going in with this.

For weapons I kept the dual Winter's Grasp ice cannons, I added three Khron Ice weapons, one Tinsel EMP, two Big Bertha cannons, four Sikuliaq ice weapons, I added my five Tricks Not Treats slug throwers, and added twelve Gorgon crystal ice weapons. It will need more weapons as it will equipment slots once the leveling is complete so I have room yet to improve upon the design or change out weapons as needed. No shielding has been added yet as is this has cost a bit to outfit, so shielding will be last on the list of things to do with this particular build. As is with the equipment stats above it should be able to take a beating, add to that the armor levels still to come, this stands to be a rather intimidating and nasty opponent on the battle field.

So thus far I can honestly say as a fan of ice mechas when you can pilot it and afford it get one of these. It has much possibility to it, and the slots are rather nice to see in a larger mecha. There you have it folks the build thus far for Northstar, it may change as I go but for now this is what I am running on it, make of it what you will.















Submitted by Pat Willis#224534