Thursday, May 26, 2016

Anyone Else Seeing This By Pat Willis#224534 With Commentary By David McCallum#701548

First off let me start by saying this is only my opinion, I have always said we are the voice of the players and I will not back down on that now even with a possibly unpopular opinion. After all am I not a player too, do I not have my own views and voice? If what I have to say rubs anyone wrong or makes them mad at me so be it. If the Devs don't want to pay me for saying things that are unpopular or possibly not kind about the game or people in it, again so be it. I will not stop saying what is on my mind.

So what is on my mind exactly? All the pics A.N.N. uses in both their articles and videos that have NOTHING at all to do with Mecha Galaxy. Why does this rub me the wrong way every time I see it?

Well a few reasons really. When I got out of A.N.N. and started G.G. here I was told to keep it as Mecha Galaxy based as possible. Which means use the games locations, characters, and mechas where you will but keep it in the MG universe.

Now we all know we have various clans and characters who aren't based purely in the MG world, so be it, a little creative license here and there won't hurt. How ever just about every thing they (A.N.N.) have put out for a long while now contains a lot of all different kinds of mechas you'll find in things like...Gundam, Robotech, Battle Tech, Mech Warrior, Warhammer 40K, Armored Core etc, etc. Basically it seems that if it has a mecha in it regardless of the series it is from you'll find it as an illustration or video in something they produce.

So why do I have a problem with this? Simple, we're not playing any of those games so why put them where they don't belong repeatedly? First off should one of the other games get wind that their likenesses are being used for another game we could have all kinds of problems legally speaking. Secondly the look and feel of say an Atlas compared to a Fext, or a Titan class world destroyer being in the hands of Tory from Novum just doesn't make sense, they are different animals for a reason.

I mean think about it a Titan class world destroyer from Warhammer 40K can literally step on our biggest 100 Ton mecha like it was a bug and keep on going like nothing happened. But we were told to keep it within the realm of M.G. What were they told? Go nuts ripping off every mecha image you can find and we'll pin your posts for you to show you off? Not to mention yes this is a game, yes it is all in fun for us players, BUT for the Devs this a brand name and a business. So why the hell would you try to sell a Transformer using Power Ranger pics?

You can ask my editors I have yapped on the whole keep it in game thing almost religiously, they can probably recite my whole speech about it verbatim at this point. So why should they (A.N.N.)  be able to do whatever the hell they want, post whatever they want especially if it isn't MG, and still go along their merry little way, yet we're the ones who are told keep it in MG. Got news for you, we aren't the ones you need to be having that talk with.

David McCallum  : I'm going to add a few cents to this mainly because while yes, as Pat stated us editors have memorized his speech, there are a few things here that he has missed as this is definitely one of his 'buttons'.

Yes, GG (me in particular) does occasionally use imagery from elsewhere. The thing is we give accreditation to either the person or company as this is the bare minimum that they should expect if their work is going to be used without having gained their express permission.

The thing that worries me (note the word worry, not annoy) is that some of the vids while very nicely done and something that the creator should be rightly proud of don't give credit to outside sources.

Not only that, but in a humorous manner they assume all credit for the content by putting the credits page at the end.

I know from past experience that some companies like Games Workshop take a really dim view of that practice and defend their IP fanatically, to the point of lawyering up straight out of the gate rather than sending a polite e-mail. I wouldn't wish that kind of thing on anyone in our community.

I guess (and this is my personal view rather than GG policy) while it would be preferable to keep it in MG universe, at the end of the day we all play because theres something about massive robots blowing C**p up that we like, and so other games are going to be on our radar. As players and viewers we aren't going to be averse to an amount of it.

But for crying out loud, tone it back some and most importantly cover your behind and credit other sources properly as a bare minimum.

Submitted by Pat Willis#224534 &  David McCallum#701548