Sunday, May 1, 2016

An Unlikely Interview A Pilot Story By Darth Zed #14143

It’s the aftermath of Clan War 3309. The Brotherhoods 1st Kearny Highlanders are picking through the wreckage of yet another massed raid on their strongholds. This time, it was I AM. Some AI computer virus gone sentient. Together with a mixed bag of clones, hacked mechs and a few third rate pilots and drones, they threw themselves at our massed defenses with no more strategy than “march into the Brotherhoods targeting sensors and hope for the best.”

The battle was what the ancients in the 20th Century would call ‘shooting fish in a barrel.’

Some medical research firm placed a small bounty on any clones found in the wrekage, and not being ones to pass up a few free Niodes, we’ve been scouring the killing fields looking for our clones. Their contractual procedures require each of us to turn in their own clone. Maybe to get a facial match, or maybe comparing DNA collected from us when we turn them in. Doesn’t really matter. A niode is a niode, and this is like the 10th clone of myself I’ve taken down, so it’s not like it even bothers me anymore. Hell, I’ve killed Kings, generals, famous politicians. These predictable raids after our Clan Wars have provided us with a plethora of interesting targets to shoot. I’m waiting for musicians. There’s a few from the 20th/21st century I really want to shove a Big Bertha into and fire a few rounds.

Anyway, I digress. My sensors had picked up the Cindron that my clone was last reported piloting. He’s moving up in the world. Last few times, he was hot-shoting it in a Shocklite. I cracked the cockpit seal, and went about securing my clones remains.

“Damn, I make a handsome corpse,” I mutter as I seal its body in a transport pod. There must have been a few systems still active, and voice recognition software kicked in, thinking I was him. I received a command prompt asking if I would like to delete files on the mechas hard drive. This could be interesting. Most computer files and records get destroyed during battles, either through the intense radiation impulses , or self-destruct procedures every pilot uses to maintain group security.

I ordered the files downloaded to my personal tablet, and had my AI assistant work on clearing it up so I could read and listen to the files. There was some damage, but this is what was able to be salvaged:

“......maintain my confidentiality, if you don’t mind. My editors don’t like when I break procedure. I’m supposed to be spending my time interviewing the same old mech pilots battle after battle. They’d never allow this interview to be published, let alone pay me for it. I may be able to get into the Underground circuit, and maybe a few Pirate Enclaves as well, if that’s all right with you?”

“Sure. Whatever. It’s your dime, and your Scotch.”

“Great. Let me just set up the transcriber so it’ll format correctly and....”

Unidentified Reporter: All set on my end. I guess I’ll start this like any other. Who are you , and where are you from?

Unidentified Pilot: Well, my designation this round is Degenerate, so we can stick with that. And I’m a member of Titus’ Pirate Gang in Yomi Reefs.

UR: Degenerate? Interesting handle. Choose it yourself?

Degenerate: No. Each pirate gang has it’s own random name generator. Each time we’re re-birthed, we get a new name. I guess the names are all depending on the personality of the Leader.

UR: Re-birthed? Are you saying that you’re all clones?

Deg: Most of us. It’s cheaper and easier this way. With the way the Clans and Conglomerates wipe the field with us, we really couldn’t maintain our numbers any other way.

UR: So tell me a little more about that? What’s a pirate clone’s life like?

Deg: Well, I’m the clone of an actual Mecha Pilot. I think my template was a professor or History Teacher. I seem to know all sorts of random facts about Old Earth. I think he hates Pirates, too. I find myself getting into way too many bar brawls over random crap.

UR: Interesting. I have to ask, since you’re a clone, do you fear death?

Deg: Hmmmm. That’s a great question. The answer depends on the circumstances of our deaths. We feel pain, and that’s a big fear in any pilots life. Drake tried numbing our pain receptors, but it affected our reflexes to the point that we actually performed worse in battle. If we drop in battle, and our brains are recoverable, we retain our past memories and experiences, making us better pilots. That’s part of the reason why I hear so many Clans crying about how hard our lines have become after 30 raids. We usually know what any given pilot is going to do before he does it. We’ll remember how we died, and the pain of it, but after a few times, the fear of death goes away. Now, if our brains are lost, we start over again from a download of the original clone. So, it’s a whole learning process all over again.

UR: Now that’s an interesting viewpoint. Memory and experience as a force multiplier.

Deg: Yeah, I think that’s why so many of these Mad Kings and Generals are using clones. I think they’re hoping that one day it’ll all click into place.

UR: Speaking of Mad Kings, I believe the current one to be attacking the Clans is the Mad King Xerxes. Why aren’t you out there with your brothers and sisters finding glory on the battlefield?

Deg: I won the lottery. So when YouRippaDeez showed up with the standard recruitment offer, I chose to decline, and spend 2 weeks getting wasted and getting laid.

UR: The lottery? really? Isn’t that reserved for Clan Pilots only?

Deg: No, not your lottery. Most Pirate outfits have their own lottery system. Some are based on total kills, crit kills, last shot. It varies from raid to raid. Every time a clan line sets down on Yomi, it’s a contest on our end. Prizes vary , too. Mech Upgrades, weapon boosts, time off, vacations. extra shares on raid booty. I got lucky. Right before YouRippaDeez showed up, some underweight noob tried to raid Yomi. I cleared half his lines, and fried the poor SOB in his cockpit. My prize was 2 weeks here in this Paradise, all expenses paid...

UR: So I didn’t have to drop all those niodes on that Scotch.....?

Deg: Nope, but the offer was mighty appreciated. I felt kinda sorry for ya, so that’s why I turned down the offer of the girls. Besides, I’ve already sampled them all in this establishment. I’m on to the next after this.

UR: So other than constant raids, fighting, drinking and screwing, what else do you guys do for fun? Any big plans for Titus? Or any of the other Big Bosses and Raid Chiefs?

Deg: Well, I probably shouldn’t say anything, but rumor is something big is coming. Lots of scuttlebutt about something called the Chron...................................

And that is where the recording became indecipherable.

So, I’m standing here in line arguing with some damn middle manager at the medical research firm. He’s giving me an earful about paying full price for a clone body missing its head. He doesn’t seem to care that we are essentially fighting over the worth of MY dead body. I finally explained to him that when you hit with an EXACTO shot, there isn’t usually much left to recover without using a sponge.

Next stop is the local Post Office. I’m hoping this 6 Niode bounty is enough to cover shipping this box to Yomi Reefs.













 Submitted by Darth Zed #14143