Thursday, April 14, 2016

Jurassic Mecha Debate By Pat Willis#224534

Some strangeness is a foot with the lore and details surrounding the Jurassic mecha. In the tech manual in game if you look at the Apatotron mecha read out you'll see Drochah is credited for the creation of the Jurassic Mecha. Except that's not how it went.

You see the Ignis was the first Jurassic mecha to hit the scene, as such beyond the tech manual write up the devs wanted a background story to go with it. Mostly explaining how it came to be. I was in a group at the time consisting of A.N.N. members, Devs, and us here at G.G. the Devs gave us a brief outline of what they thought should be worked into the story and set us free on it.

I don't know what everyone else was thinking in terms of story or explanation of it, but I was there with the story ready to go. Incidentally said story can be found in our official lore section under the title "Hunting a story, Ignis origins" part 1-6. Anyways as I got each section completed I posted it in this group, and as you know in Facebook you can often see who has read what posts in groups. So I figured if anyone had an issue with something, it would be voiced. If so I would fix it accordingly, or edit it out, and move along.

Well everyone read it over, some liked a posting here or there but no one commented one way or another on it. So I went with it figuring that if anything was inaccurate, not what was desired, or just out and out wrong, it would be addressed. Nothing, I'm talking cricket chirping was the reaction I received. Yet folks read it I could see that, some even hit the like button.

So I had my Niodemancer character step in and speak to my game self, the reporter detailing the history and creation of the Ignis mecha by a rogue Forerunner named Kellek, seeking to gain resources and glory for his clans house. I had time traveling gates, warring Forerunner houses, mad scientist vs madder scientist etc etc. It was all in all fun to write and a challenge to do, but it was allowed in the end.

So the Ignis got released and had an expansive backstory to boot. Then the Aspis, Regis and much, much later the Apatotron was released. But the Apatotron retroactively in its tech manual write up credits Drochah as the creator of all Jurassic mecha. As the guy who wrote out the tale behind the creation of the Ignis mecha and gave it backstory this kinda irritates me.

The mecha near as I can tell and the backstory that went with it predates the Drochah character as well as the Apatotron mecha, so why was it added in to the Apatotron that Drochah was the creator of the mecha when anyone involved in that behind the scenes pow wow knows for a fact it wasn't? I'm trying to get answers also in groups but again just like the actual story approval process all I'm getting is crickets.

So as a last resort I bring this issue before you the players. Do you guys and gals have an opinion on which lore should stay, which should get updated or which should be cut out completely? As one who did all that writing, and for a reason to boot not just a, "Hey I feel like doing such and such" this irritates me. I just want to know once and for all which way this is going to jump.

Submitted by Pat Willis#224534