Thursday, March 30, 2017

Changing Of The Guard By John Ringo #899287

The thrill of victory! The elation of success after finishing a hard day’s work. The sense of loss from the retirement of a good friend from the office. These conflicting emotions surged through me as I approached the office door with “Editor in Chief” marked on it with Gold Filigree lettering. Patrick always did have a touch of class. My hand hesitated just short of the door handle. I have walked through this door more times than I could count while discharging my duties as Patrick’s Intern. Never did I have pause to enter this room before, but here I stood and became lost in my thoughts.

I had worked hard for this day… to earn my place as an Editor on the staff at Galaxy Gathering but I never in my wildest dreams did I figure it would happen like this or at such a cost. I was still a little numb from the shock of it all. Patrick calling me into this very office and telling me he needed to retire from active military service and step down from running G.G. What he did next just about stopped my heart in my chest. Everyone knew Patrick had always sworn the day he left G.G he would stop the press and it would be closed for good. To have him extend his hand towards me with the key to his office and document transferring ownership of G.G into my name was a shock to say the least. The honor I was just paid was beyond words.

My hand touches the door and pushed it open. Stepping through into the room, my eyes seeing all the places where Patrick kept his mementos now packed away and moved to his home. The lingering smells of tobacco from the different brands of cigars Patrick, David and Ken smoked summoned to my mind visions of late night staff meetings and times spent just hanging out talking and joking. The ring-shaped stains on the empty desk speak to all the coffee and alcohol needed to keep this enterprise running smoothly. I walk over to the desk and run my hands across the oak feeling the history it has seen. The desk key Patrick gave me fits the lock on the bottom drawer. I turn the key and open the drawer to find a bottle of Scotch with a note that says “For when you need a bigger hammer to solve your problems”. I reached into the drawer and removed the bottle and the included glass. A twist of the wrist and the top is open. I stood there breathing in the heady peat smell of the Scotch filling the room from the open bottle while I close my eyes and smile one last time at the ghosts of old memories. I open my eyes and pour a dram of fine Scotch in the glass. I raise the glass in salute “To absent friends” lowering the glass to my lips I enjoy the rich warmth rolling around my mouth. I set the glass down on the desk and un-pack my portable computer and sit down in the chair. “I won’t let you down Patrick. Thanks for the trust you have in me to look of all you have built” I say as I reach for the glass for one more drink. I take a cigar out of my pocket and light it. The fragrant aroma of the smoke blends with the peat from the Scotch still coating my mouth. I power on my computer and rest my fingers on the keyboard. It was now time to get to work.


Submitted By John Ringo #899287