Thursday, January 22, 2015

Waiting For A Fight By Kalevi Karvinen#863817

Banishment to the upper division was over, when unlimited KOTM came to its end. My ranking was 70. It's kind of hard to achieve anything when your resources won't permit you to fight, but at least I was not in last place this time. That alone is sort of victory in my opinion.

But no worries, time to get ready to the next event. Refresh page... wait for it... refresh... wait... refresh... wait... refresh... New! Join! First! Back to the sign up page, what are the restrictions this time.

3x Rainbow chrono. Quick click to the hangar, just to double-check my line. Yes, all good, it was as I remember it, no need to switch any mechs. A little adjustment to the weapons and I was confident to continue waiting.

That sounds kind of boring, and maybe it is that, but my fights in kotm are mostly waiting. I try to join early, then I wait for other players and check to see who and how strong they are. After that I try to figure if I have the opportunity to achieve something, or do I need retreat to a safe distance.

This round looked so promising, until representatives of RND joined. Close enough level and more tons in line. That could mean so damn hard a fight if he is after Nephilax too. Can't do anything about it, so started morning routines. Lottery, seed crystals, free upgrade and then home page to see if there is something new.

Mail? Sender's name sounded familiar, so I was little curious when opened it. "Good luck on your 3rd win dude...". That put smile in my face, a little worried smile, but a smile nonetheless. Clicked back to the event, and didn't find the sender there? What the... Back to the mail, sender profile, name, level and clan. Back to the event.

Ah, he was one division up, from Bacon Addicts II. Quick check to his trophies, and oh boy was I happy that he was not in my div, one monster is quite enough.

Well, sent him thanks and told him that I will at least try to win. Have to say, I was not so sure about that win, that RND was too close to any comfort. And sure enough, some time later I was knocked down. So it started...

Little waiting and I hit back. Oh damn, there was a lot of mechs. Attack again, and again. One more time. I did win at last (and level up). Panic upgrade to all mechs on line, and back to the waiting...

It felt it appropriate to send a message to the my main opponent. I said that I wholeheartedly hoped that he was somewhere else, but that I would try kick him down often enough so that I could get enough points. What I didn't mention, was that I got only limited xp that I could use in this fight before I must stop fighting and wait next kotm.

Soon came the response. Different words but the idea was same. Neither of us looked forward to the fight, xp gain could be overwhelming, but we had already started by leveling up, so no retreat anymore.

And fight we did. Slow cautious combat, with lots of waiting between hits. My hope was that because it was my morning, it could be his evening (or even better, night), so I waited as long as I dared before hitting, and then waited to see if he is online anymore. He was.

Change of plan. Hit second ladder and wait next point drop. Maybe he'll go sleep if he get those and then I hit again, and this close he don't get much ahead... One hour, no points. Half hour more, no points. Hell with it, fight, fight, win... and points came.

After that it was kinda anticlimax fight. I was nervous, checked event every hour, only to find out that nothing moved. Night came, and I did wake up couple of times to check the event. Nothing moved.

Next day, two more players emerge, they level like there is no tomorrow. Well, their level went up, but mechs not so much, so I kept an eye on them but was worried only RND. And counted points, when I would be safe. Middle of the last day of event was not a very conforting answer.

So I waited. And woke at night to check the situation. Only newcomers moved. I hoped that I could see if they tried to hit us. And how close they were to dropping  us...

Last day. Still first, RND second. Newcomers still below us. Point limit exceeded, now it would take some sort of miracle if I would lose anymore. But still I worried and waited, only this time not gold anymore, but could I actually get all points. I did calculate how many points is maximum in this event, then again how many I got and how many I had left to get... Outcome felt so unreal. All the points. For me. Never before, and I bet never again, I could be this lucky.

Last hour, still no movement. Oh joy! That agonizing wait, feeling that event won't ever end. One more minute. Then another. Until game reloads and you rush to the event archives to check your rank. At least I do that often. Only this time the game decided to tease me little more, ladder was empty. Reload. Still empty. Hangar! Loot is there, looks like I really did win! So sweet looking pictures of new weapons. Next inactive mechs list. Brand new Nephilax was there.

Sure, all this checking was kind of pointless, rationally there were no need to do those verifications but there is always that nagging feeling in my head... What if there is some problem in the game at that last critical second. But no, like always before, I worried for nothing. So back to the daily routine. Only that this time there were a couple extra visits to my hangar to upgrade my new toy, as I waited to new KOTM start again.










Submitted by Kalevi Karvinen#863817