Thursday, August 25, 2016

Fourteen Seconds By Kalevi Karvinen#863817

The story starts from king of the mountain, division 10. Contest is named for Cannon balls, so I take it like any unlimited fight. And level spread was really good for me, as it put me high enough to be competitive.

Like always, I waited end fight to start down on ladders, where others had dropped me after joining kotm. That is my fate, join early, then drop down. So there is no point to even try stay up, need spend limited resources more efficiently.

But anyways, clock hit start time and up I go. Fairly easy. Lose some, then win again, until I was top. And stayed there until end. 12 minutes and 7 seconds. New Nephilax to up and weapons to put in place. Hopped between hangar and kotm, upping mechs and waiting event to start. Only hope for medal would be join early and be missed by climbers.

Ah, new one. Join and then back to check what it was. Just King of the mountain this time, so for me it was unlimited again. Level spread was not bad, but not really good either. I was closer to bottom, but at least I was where my level was meant to be, not in penalty box. So there is hope then. Log out, lets wait how low I find myself this time.

Joining lotto, using free up and checking event. Below 10 already. Above me is… With sinking feeling I read name on top spot. Cher Lee. That’s that then, abandon all hope. Four levels above me and using best that game can offer. Yeah, it was really short dream of another gold.

End fight had started some time ago, I was mainly waiting this to end and next to start. Going to get bronze this time, not bad as such, usually after gold I did not get anything.

Tick tack. Tick tack. Seems that this is one of those long ones… Three fights to hit Cher… About 50 xp… I really would liked to see what he got there, even if I know I won’t win… Silver wont be that much more xp than bronze… Tick tack… Aww, hell. Lets see if I can do anything.

So up I went. Hitting only as high as I could, no point of fighting if cant drop all. Needed some double attacks, but finally could reach first spot. Cher Lee. So what you got there, just one 500$ or many times that. Here we go…

Hah, that was as bad I was expecting. Did see only his first line before all of mine was dead. But sure enough, nothing but big mechs there. Well, another try. Come on!! At least want see second line. Again! So close, just one lucky hit and would been past first line. Again! Still no luck! Well, this kotm going to end soon anyway, same to hit all I got.

So I started do fast attacks. Just click fight and back as fast I could. Then collect super hatoraide from inventory and back making useless fights. Second super gone. Third. Fourth. WHAT!! I’M FIRST!! I WIN!!

My heart was skipping beat or two. Keep refreshing page and waiting to drop. No way that Cher would leave me there. But how I would like to see that “What the… How??” face of his, when he drop me and see that there really weren’t anything that should even make dent to his formation. Minute. Second. Third.

Started checking other divisions and ongoing battles. He must be fighting hard somewhere else, or not be online at all, if I’m still top. Fourth. Fifth. Sixth. Come on, end already. Double gold so close. Seventh. Eight. Ninth. Please. Please. End. If not Cher, then anybody else could drop me too. No movement yet. Not fair. End. Please end.

Nothing to do but wait. And refresh page every second. Or twice every second. Not sure, just kept clicking. Tenth. Eleventh. Can’t even remember when last felt tension like this. Heart was pounding all over my chest, how it could move like that. Darn. End!! Twelfth. Nick, you are sadist. End. Please. End.

Fights. Is he there? Back to ladder. Not first! NOT FIRST? What! Who? No no no… refresh, need attack fast… blank screen… game is reloading… main page… that awful sinking feeling, kotm has finally ended. I had lost. Felt enormous disappointment. Lost.

Archive. So, who did this. Jesse Charles Anderson. Who? Where he did come? Somewhere way down… aww darn. 14 seconds. If I didn’t go look fights, I would been there when he hit, and could hit back. Judging by tons and level, I bet I could even drop him back down, maybe not first hit but surely before run out of fights. But not today. Silver was just what I expected when started my mad rush, but oh that I am disappointed. Fourteen seconds. I manage drop monster and then lose some random last second “oh, kotm is still on” attack? Fourteen seconds.

Maybe this is what those winners who next hear “sorry, read wrong name” feel on those moments. Fourteen seconds.

 Submitted by Kalevi Karvinen#863817