Saturday, August 27, 2016

Sideways The Novum Mecha Spotlight By Pat Willis#224534

Like most I obtained my flying mecha from the mission Zone it shares its name with, Novum. Its a slick, swooped back design, sporting more dodge ability than thought previously possible. Normally I would sell off a low tonnage mech, but something about this one made me keep it. As far as I know these are still available on the mission zone Novum Dolorum. Bosses completed or not, it is a mission drop, a very rare mission drop, but a drop all the same.

So I kept this little speed demon and noticed right off she wasn't crystalline based like the Jadoon, this puppy is a niode mecha. As such she is three niodes per level for leveling cost. That isn't too bad if you are a niode heavy player, use your one a day level gifts (that takes forever at the rate of one a day.), or frequent the missions zones which reset often now for mini boss fights to save up niodes for leveling. So there are ways to level it in game without having to spend a dime, unless that is your preferred route in which case more power to you.

The Novum is a 25 Ton flying niode mecha with real simple basic abilities before  installing equipment. Right now mine is at level 57 and slowly being upgraded, I am at level 95, so its before equipment bonuses are as  follows- Speed + 44, Dodge (24), Missile Vulnerable 30%, Laser Damage + 9%, 3X Damage 14% . As with the Jadoon it shares a missile vulnerability, but this is at a higher percentage rate than the Jadoon. It is simply smaller and packs less armor so whatever can hurt a Jadoon, will really hurt these Novum as they share the same basic design body wise.

As it is a smaller lighter mecha thus far it has only 2 cockpit slots which I have filled with FOF Targeting systems granting it a precision bonus, x2 Damage, Missile and Projectile weapon damage upgrades to a small percent. The chassis is made up of 2 Hip actuators for a dodge of (12) per, and one spinal bracing for another dodge of (12). I have 2 engine slots which I put Cogwerk Micro Blocks in for a speed of +25 and and auto repair of (1) per engine. Also it has 1 shield slot which I filled with a Crabworth Alpha for a missile shield of 44%, but I gain an ice vulnerability of 12%. Honestly that doesn't overly concern me as most ice weapons can't fire as fast as this thing can move, and dodge. See what I mean below....

All told with equipment her stats become......
Level: 57 / 94
Armor: 131
Laser Damage + 9%
Missile Damage + 20%
Proj. Damage + 8%
Speed + 94
3X Damage 14%
2X Damage 12%
Dodge (60)
Precision (10)
Auto Repair (2)
Shield (6)
Missile Shield 14%
Ice Vulnerable 12%
Class: Novum
Weapons: 16

Nothing ground breaking I know but hey she is fast and can dodge like crazy, precision needs work but again this is only level 57, working with what I had stored away in my hanger.

The weapon systems are simple with 2 Rage Pulsars with 95 straight damage and crit-kill abilities, 3 H.Blast Plates to take advantage of the projectile bonus with 63 straight damage and the small chance for trample, 2 57AM missile launchers for 96 straight damage with a small percentage chance for Splash ability, and finally 9 Heat Lasers with straight damage of 60, and a small percentage chance at x2 damage.

All in all this is a fine mecha. It's fast, its small, and maneuverable. Light armor but built for speed and dodging at high velocity, and able to pack a punch to boot. So I have to say I'm thus far impressed by the outcome. Somethings could be improved on yes, but this is a work in progress and will likely change a few times before I settle on a configuration. But for now that's how she stands for better or worse.













Submitted by Pat Willis#224534