Monday, December 7, 2015

The Switch Fairy Cometh... by David McCallum #701548



I'm imagining conversations between pilots and their techs all over Mecha Galaxy...


Hey boss, erm, I just found a switch on this Krampus.


What does it do?


Dunno, never seen it before...


Just on that one?


Hang on... no, they all have it.


And you've never seen it before...


No.


And how many times have you serviced or rebuilt a Krampus?


erm... thousands... and I swear, it wasn't here yesterday.


So you are telling me the switch fairy came in the middle of the night and screwed with my mechs? You'd better trace the circuit back then...


Doing that just now... seems to feed back through fire control and into the power plant. I'd say its a damage booster.


So you are telling me that for all these years, I could have been getting hot shots from my Krampus, and you never told me?!?!


* * * * *


Well, its one way to handle the retcon of the latest upgrade to an old favourite. And yes, I'm being a bit facetious... only slightly though.


From a narrative point of view, "discovering" that mechs that topped out at a specific level can now be upgraded past that is one thing, but changing stuff lower down does seem a bit comic book. Next you'll be telling me we don't really die when our mechs get blown up.


Should we have had a Krampus mk II hit the showroom floor? Or maybe a Krampus only after market upgrade, where for a few crystal we can update it to the latest model. How do you tell the difference between the mk I and mk II... different shaped headlights?


Perhaps more worrying, why are all those Namtar, Oggun and Buchis pilots standing round with their arms folded and tapping their feet expectantly?



Submitted by David McCallum #701548