Sunday, July 23, 2017

ODM Module Equipment Review - By David McCallum #701548

Maybe it's my age and the old eyesight is going.

Or maybe I just have a healthy imagination (or an unhealthy predilection with some decidedly dodgy practices as the wife would put it...)

I'm flicking though the trade catalogues, trying to catch up with the latest offerings on the market when my eyes are drawn to the Dom Module...

Sorry, what was that?!?!

I mean, I know the Bunnies brought us some decent engines in the Orcus Wheel and the Anzu Run... heck, that one can even scale up to the new 105 tonners, but a module that relies on whips, chains and a 'safe word' to slow down???

Thankfully I was mistaken (or at least my eyes were) and I had misread the name of the ODM Module. And no, it isn't a Bunny invention.

So, let’s see what this thing can do.

According to the spec sheet, for 2001 Ferrite, 1821 Bioptics and 55 Crystal you get an engine module fit for 100 and 105 ton mechs that has a Speed rating of 3, a 2% chance of double damage shot and a vulnerability to projectile shots of 2%.

Gah, when will the manufacturers learn not to release kit that has a built-in vulnerability?

I certainly won't be fitting any on my 100 ton mechs at any stage. The double damage shot isn't worth it, and both Kinetic Converters and Power Nodes have no down side to them. Plus, they have better torque of the starting blocks!

I seriously get the feeling that simply because they can fit into a 105 Guardian chassis, somebody is trying to make a quick buck before the more discerning manufacturers catch on and start producing a decent engine block.

Because if you are looking for an engine for your ill-gotten gains, you can either use the aforementioned Bunny made Anzu Run and have it blow up in your face, or you can shell out some serious Niodage for a Nebula Drive and still put up with rubbish speed and an even bigger vulnerability to hard shot.

Seriously.

I think I've been gone too long and you folk have been putting up with some serious substandard offerings that other publications have failed to review in a proper manner...


Fear not, your mouthpiece is back and we shall crusade for decent gear once more!