Monday, July 17, 2017

Back In The Saddle - By David McCallum #701548

Yes, I know.

I'm supposed to be on a sabbatical, sorting new barracks for the clan.

Everything packed and into temporary storage, locations being scouted, plans being drawn up and signed off, security protocols updated (why on Earth the code phrase for "potential trouble" became "But I wanted an orange bedroom" I haven't a clue) and of course large amounts of wrangling with the boss over project finances.

I'm sure if I'd left it to the higher echelons, our new barracks would be a family sized cereal box...

And to make matters worse, the location most suitable for a defensible position needs to take advantage of natural conditions, including terrain and in this case weather. This of course means cold, snow, even storms are all an asset in order to deter potential unwanted visitors.

So, I'm soaking wet and freezing my nethers off when the call comes in... situation changed, reactivate as priority... oh, and take command of a squad, there's a good chap.

Will catch up when you report for duty, incommunicado pro tem, gone fishing...

GRRRRR!!!!!

So back to main base and catch up with what's been occurring. Quite a bit it seems.

I'm pretty sure I told you that those Chroniode kit pieces were bad news. Now we have even more alternate Universes. Remind me to collect on that bet I made with Patrick.

Of course, the down side with being on extended covert ops at the Dark, Damp Buttock Cleft of the Galaxy is that it takes a while to get back in the groove.

Even the daily chores that I have spent so many years doing by rote...

Upgrade kit, check.

erm.. oh yes, resource exchange, check.

Hang on, don't remind me... um, Crystal Harvest run, check.

What’s next... Lottery! Rats, forgot to do that this morning, but checked off now.

It'll come to me, I know it... it's.... it's... Circuit Fights! Check for new Circuit Fights!

It is just so strange getting back into the swing of things, carrying out all of the menial day to day tasks that we have all taken for granted for so long.

And then of course there is the unpacking of crated mechs and getting them battle ready again. Greasing for storage is all very well in terms of preventing corrosion, but by the time it has sat there for over a year and been subjected to the damp of the climates I was sent to (water/oil/grease mix is just yummy at the best of times) and add that to the accumulated dust and detritus of time and you have to get at the bloody joints with a trowel to shift the stuff.

"Well what about water blasting it off?" I hear you ask. The next person that suggests that method is going to get their nuts tightened with a very large monkey wrench, let me tell you!

That would be brilliant if it hadn't been for the fact that while I was knocking icicles of my... nose, the rest of the clan are sunning it up in what is best described as sub-Saharan climes and as such all water is restricted for "personnel hydration" only, in other words getting my clan mates over their morning hangovers.

Bunch of drunken sots that they are...

And yes, before you open your trap, I tried sandblasting. Suffice to say I'm not planning on shelling out for a paint respray on over 300 mechs, not to mention the fact that picking grit out of the crevices with a pair of tweezers is never an idea of fun.

So, back to the trowel and wire brush it is. The high point of which is that Junior Pilot is pulling penal duty again (please note I didn't say 'as usual') for gross insubordination and being a general smart-ass pain in the posterior.

And since Junior Pilot isn't on active duty, they have plenty of time to get most of my formations cleaned up and battle ready.

And it looks most likely that I'm going to need them to be anywhere near effective this time around, what with large amounts of new equipment on the market (never fear, I shall be delving into reviewing that particular crop in my own way as time permits) and these newfangled 105 ton monstrosities that will no doubt be wandering around in the near future.

Ho hum, no rest for the wicked, as they say. Not that I'm wicked... just misunderstood, especially when it comes to inventories and expense accounts, but we don't talk about that in polite company.

Oh, hang on, its you lot....

Anyway, at least somethings don't change, especially my ability to ramble on. I'll be back with more soon, because quite frankly...

...admit it, you've missed me.

Toodles.