Sunday, July 16, 2017

Jungle Jam - By John Ringo #899287

The jungle was so thick it’s canopy cut off almost all the sunlight even though it was high noon on this god forsaken planet. I struggled to keep my dry, salt crusted eyes open to pick my way carefully through the less dense areas of vegetation with my battered mech. I have been awake now for 52 hours and my fatigue fogged brain was not responding much to stims any more. For the thousandth time, I wiped my view screen with my soaked sleeve in the vain effort to better see what was in front of me. The humidity on this rock was oppressive and my air con had packed it in 7 hours ago making the air in my cockpit so thick with water vapor you could just about swim in it.

This was supposed to be a fast bounty collection on a pirate band that has been raiding some crystal farms for the last few weeks. The farmers pooled the cash they had left and posted a bounty on the pirates in the hopes someone would help deal with the scum. The pirates were only supposed to be using medium tonnage mechs. A few Oggs and Holms only. I was given the mission because I am good at thinking on my feet and used to running solo operations so the rest of the clan could take on a larger mission. You always count on the fact that your intel is never as good as you would like but this time things hit a new low. The farmers fudged the information on what mechs the pirates were using. I guess they figured if they told the truth no one would show up to help them with what they could afford to pay. When I first made contact with the enemy and learned the truth I was so glad I had selected my trusty Dilo “Ace in the Hole” for this mission. I was up against 3 Infernos and a Fext!

The pirates tried to use their flame weapons to box me in so the slow Fext could have an easy time hitting me with its massive laser weapons. My Dilo was kitted out special servos to greatly increase my agility and response time. This will help keep me alive while I wait for my upgraded targeting scanners to find the weaker spots on the pirates so I could land the crit hits I would need to survive this encounter. I fired my Galaxy Eye lasers as fast as they would cycle on the Infernos disrupting their efforts to pin me down. Dodging the laser fire from the Fext my targeting scanners picked the Infernos off one at a time until it was just me and the monster left. My Dilo had suffered damage from too many close calls dodging the massive laser fire from the Fext. My com unit, tactical map display and air con were out of operation. I turned and faced the Fext and charged towards it trying to quickly close the distance between us while running what I hoped was random enough zig-zag evasive pattern. I held my fire to keep the guns fully charged and cool while the targeting scanners did their job. Running under the Fexts legs while avoiding getting stepped on I finally heard that joyful buzzing tone that meant I had a solid lock on a vulnerable area. My scanners had found an exposed fuel line on the back-left shoulder area and I mashed my trigger and fired everything I had. The Fext’s chest erupted with tongues of flame as the fuel cells burned killing the pirate who piloted it. It shuddered as it came to a halt but it did not fall over. I figured I would leave it standing there as a warning to any other pirates who might think about hurting these crystal farms in the future.


Now I just had to stay awake long enough to triangulate the radio signal on the landing beacon so I could find the landing zone so I could get out of here. Finally, after 56 hours on this hell hole of a planet I burst into the clearing with the landing beacon. It did not take me long to climb down from my mech and change the signal on the beacon to let the drop ship know I was here. Time for some well earned rest.