Saturday, April 29, 2017

A Few Points Of Difference By David McCallum #701548


Hi folks, just checking in...

As you've probably noticed (or not) due to the lack of absolutely awesome articles and reviews from me, I'm taking a hiatus from Galaxy Gathering and general piloting duties in general.

OK, that’s a fib.

Yes, I'm not on the active duty roster and It's certainly a nice change not to have to put up with Patrick's drunken mumblings on a daily basis (although young Mr. Ringo is certainly taking on a certain air of dishevelment mixed with mid-day imbibement associated with the editors chair and the place still needs a good vacuum out), but I have to confess I have been dabbling with another robot based battle simulator.

And this is the point where I break the fourth wall and come out of my in-game persona, because I need to make some real life comparisons and point out some of the things that Nick and the devs do right. And I can say that by direct comparison to a competing organization.

Bug fixes/tech support: Generally speaking, these are addressed and fixed ASAP. Not only that, but the community is aware that it is being worked on by an acknowledgement and real time feedback. Is it perfect? No... there are still outstanding issues on individual accounts that haven't been addressed. But my word the response and feedback is a stellar cut above other companies.

Free offers: Everyone gets a chance at them. By running the "free item on login" for a full server day, anyone in the world has a chance to partake. This is key for any online game; the community covers every time zone. Sure we get the odd Flash Sale, and they can be frustrating as they are time zone centric, but by and large the whole planet gets a chance. Other companies are very country centric.
Making Payments: I don't know how much research Nick did into this, but compared to other companies, this is just hassle free.

I was naughty... I tried to give a competitor some money as a treat for my son. Their banking system asked for way more details that I was ever going to give them (including stuff that my bank advises it's customers to NEVER give out...) and when I queried it, they told me that I (the customer) had to get in touch with MY bank (on my time..) to ensure that I authorized a payment to THEM so it could be passed on to the company.

Or alternatively, the vendor can take a letter of complaint and not get any money, because I don't jump through hoops to get somebody to take my cash off me.

Special events: Again, Gamescraftsmen makes this a world wide thing. Wars, Clicathons, even KotMs have a variable end time so no time zone gets continuously shafted. I'm currently having to console a very devastated junior pilot because they had a big event with spot giveaways that lasted about an hour an a quarter. At 4 o'clock in the morning. Not to be repeated. Even the US would have missed out as it would have been around 10am server time (for MG) on a workday. That's just a bit silly for a worldwide audience.

Aha, I can hear you thinking... where is the impartial reporting that the Galaxy Gathering prides itself upon? Why does this sound like a chorus line from Nick's personal cheerleading department?
Well, I can put your mind at rest. Yes, there is at least one thing that Nick and the devs could do.
So far, they have avoided (in recent memory at least) any direct interviews from the player community.

A printed one would be good, but I'm pretty sure we have the tech available to do a Nick/devs live stream community Q&A. Others certainly do.

However, in summary, sometimes you just need to stop whining and be thankful for what you have, because believe me it could be a whole lot worse.

From a direct comparison, I can attest to that fact.

Submitted By David McCallum #701548