Sunday, April 16, 2017

A Bunny With An Egg On The Planet Tufo By John Ringo #899287

Space, deep space. A face with tired eyes and a bored expression illuminated by the sickly green glow from the instrument panel can be seen reflected in the cockpit window. The only sounds were from the air recyclers, random beeping from the cockpit displays and little sighs from the single occupant of the small vessel. The “Value” ship from Rent A Wreck might get you to where you are going but it did not have anything in the way of entertainment on board. Even though he has listened to this recording what feels like at least one thousand times on this trip it was time to do it again just to fill the cabin with different sounds. He reached out and hit the play button.

“Hey John, It’s Patrick. I have a local culture assignment for you. Get yourself a ship and head over to the planet Tufo and make contact with a local named Jumba. He will act as your guide to prepare you for the needed holiday guest tasks. If you are successful then you will become an honorary tribe member and can witness the King’s Gift ceremony. So, have a good time and see you when you get back. Cheers!” John sighs one last time and stows the message player back in his pack. Fatigue finally overcomes the rough vibration of the ships engines and he drifts off to sleep.

The change in the engine vibrations woke him up from his nap. Finally, he was at Tufo and can get to work. A short time later he was docked in his assigned landing space at the small space port. The air lock seals popped as the door cycled open. A flood of foreign smells assaulted his nose with the influx of warm, humid air from the planet. John stepped through the hatch and shaded his eyes while he looked around the landing field for Jumba. A local holding a sign with “John Ringo – G.G.” written on it was standing in the shade of a local tree that looks like a blue feather duster outside the small traffic control hut. John walked down the ramp and across the tarmac to the sign holding local. “You must be Jumba?” He said.

“Yes, I am Jumba. Welcome to Tufo John. We are happy to have a reporter from The Galaxy Gathering honor us with a story on our King’s Gift ceremony. Follow me to our ground transport and we will get you started on your Holiday Guest tasks right away.” He turned and started walking towards a yellow truck parked close by. I picked up my pack and followed him not knowing what to expect next.

After a short drive, we reached my guest home and he wasted no time putting me to work. The next week was a blur as Jumba guided me through the ceremonial tasks of personal cleansing, food shopping, kitchen cleaning and food preparation. Another few days were spent on ritual Holiday Hall decoration, plastic egg hiding in the large garden outside and dance class for the gift presentation to the King. Jumba was pleased with my efforts and presented me with an ID card stating I was an honorary tribal member. He gave me a box holding the needed costume and told me to get dressed. The ceremony would start in an hour. I opened the box and lifted a white and gray furred bunny costume. After putting it on and looking at myself in a mirror I could not help but feel silly. Jumba checked me over and made a few small adjustments and pronounced me ready and handed me my basket that held the King’s gift. After a quick mental review of the dance steps I opened the door and walked outside.

The garden was packed with families lined up on both side of the path I was to dance down. The King’s was seated at the end of the path. The happy squeals of delight from the children as they watched me step into view filled my ears. I took my place at the end of the path and with the start of the music performed what the locals call “The Bunny Dance”. I reached the King at the end of the dance and held out the basket containing his gift. After taking the gift box out of the basket he opened it and lifted out the chocolate bunny inside and had a big bite. He proclaimed it was good and everyone cheered and shouted, “Happy Easter!”. The adults then got in line for the buffet and the children started hunting for plastic eggs filled with candy and small toys. The King thanked me for the great work I did getting this party ready and presented me with my own gift basket. In it was an autographed picture of the King, some smaller versions of the chocolate bunny, a bottle of Anti-Acids and a picture of me in my bunny suit. I did the “Bunny Hop of Thankfulness” and my duties were done. The King laughed and slapped me on the back as he went to join the party.

That night feeling sick from too much chocolate I finished writing up my story and transmitted it to Patrick. I swallowed a few of those Anti-Acid pills and wondered where I would get sent next.


Submitted By John Ringo #899287